Azalea Styling

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
satsuki110429.jpgsatssuki2110429.jpg These were taken a few years ago. I felt like this tree looked too much like a bush so I hacked it back thoroughly. Now I am at a standstill of what to do from here. Will post the tree as it is today in the next thread

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Poor lil azalea

I cut this back three weeks ago. I know it was def not the right time of the year but its has been warm here in north fla so i gave it a go. I am prepared to here some hard criticism on the cut back and styling but i guess i have always learned from my own mistakes. For now the tree will grow out for a couple of years, at least one, after that I'm not sure where to go with the styling. The main trunks lean back away from you in this front. Thanks for looking

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First thing I'll do is remove one of the "crossed fingers" in the middle branch.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We can't really give you good advice without seeing more pictures from other sides of the tree...and preferably level with the tree instead of from above. I'd also probably not remove any more foliage until this one is growing strongly again.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
We can't really give you good advice without seeing more pictures from other sides of the tree...and preferably level with the tree instead of from above. I'd also probably not remove any more foliage until this one is growing strongly again.

I will get some more photos uploaded tomorrow. Yes i am going to let it grow for at least a season. It has started budding back on the old wood all over. Most of the buds are swelling and close to opening. I will also post some pictures in a few weeks to see the progression or decline.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Drew..you are definitely headed in the right direction. I would have cut this back even further. When it grows out, you are still going to be left with a bush because of the branch placement and structure. This is how I would have cut it. Then when in fills in, you will have a nice little tree. However, as suggested, I would let it rest for now.

Here is a virt of what I mean with the cuts then when it fills in.

Rob

Attachments

• IMAG0261[1].jpg
    IMAG0261[1].jpg
    60 KB · Views: 43
  • Copy of IMAG0261[1].jpg
    Copy of IMAG0261[1].jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 45

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hi Drew..you are definitely headed in the right direction. I would have cut this back even further. When it grows out, you are still going to be left with a bush because of the branch placement and structure. This is how I would have cut it. Then when in fills in, you will have a nice little tree. However, as suggested, I would let it rest for now.

Here is a virt of what I mean with the cuts then when it fills in.

Rob

Thanks for the virt Rob. That does look awesome. I kind of had something like that planned. Implementing the plan is another thing all together. Much thanks to the bonsai nut crew for all the help.

Top Bottom