Azalea Troubles!!

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay, everyone, I need some suggestions.... I was gone over the weekend and somehow my Azalea got torn out of it's pot and was out for who knows how long... I hate to throw it out, but I am not sure of the best steps to take in giving it a chance of survival (if it has a chance at all) I immediately brought it in and put it in water, it did rain a lot over the weekend I was told. the leaves had changed color a bit a week or so before I left, after an unpredicted frost. Since its discovery late Sunday morning it hasn't lost any leaves though a bit of drooping and they are not dry feeling. The tree did get two minor branches broken off as well. So if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Even tough it was a good first step, hopefully you didn't leave it sitting in water for much longer than an hour or so. After that, you should have just repotted it, including wiring it into the pot, and set it back in a place where it is less likely to be damaged again (if possible). Deciduous azaleas are dropping their leaves and some varieties of evergreen are shedding old leaves now. Also, don't worry about the broken branches (it happens) beyond making a cleanly cut branch stub (after flowering next spring is the best time to correct the structure/branching).

btw Bend = Bend, OR?

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, @Osoyoung, I didn't want to drown the root system by leaving in the water too long so its back in its pot. I just wasn't sure what would be more stressful to it, going back out to face the elements after the trauma of being dug up, pulled or chewed out of the pot, or spending the winter inside or garage or something... Thank you for your input! Yes Bend OR =)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Overnight freezes are how temperate perennial plants sugar up their tissues to resist freezing (i.e., sugar is antifreeze). So, for now, you needn't worry. The concern comes later in the winter. I'm in zone 8, so I rarely ever have to worry about hard freezes. You're in something like zone 6 (which can be down to -10F). You should probably put it into the garage when the temperatures are going to be below 15F for extended periods.

That is, unless your azalea is known to be hardy to lower temperatures. There are azaleas rated to be hardy in USDA zone 4. If your is, you can leave it outside all winter. Just throw some mulch around the pot on the ground to protect the roots (USDA zone ratings assume the plant is in the ground - roots aren't as cold hardy as the rest of the plant).

Lastly, also understand that most temperate plant buds require a certain period of chilling (aka vernalization). Absent this, the plant fails to bloom and, more importantly, produce new foliage in the following growing season. The net effect is serious decline if not death.

So, you're doing things right so far. Don't go down the mistaken route of killing your plants with kindness.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have stuff getting "bumped" off my benches all the time (squirrels). All my developed material is wired into the pot. However, the trees that are just growing and/or waiting to be repotted are not wired. I've come home to azaleas laying on the ground out of the pot many times. I just pick them up and stick them back in the pot. Haven't lost one yet. As long as it wasn't baking in the sun it will probably be fine.

Top Bottom