azaleas for bonsai?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know that traditional Japanese azalea bonsai is all satsuki or kurume. For me, those are largely unavailable and perhaps difficult in my climate. So I have been working with a few I have found at local nurseries and what I have appear to be hardy and fairly heat tolerant.
The question is: Are there azalea (rhododendron) varieties that I should avoid? What about the ones that are billed as "repeat blooming" or "everblooming"?
Also, all the information about azalea bonsai seems to be specific to satsuki, with notations for kurume. Which seems to work OK (I guess). What modifications to care should I be making to be making for the American hybrids?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The second best source for all things rhododendron and azalea is Henning's Rhododendron and Azalea Pages, at rhodyman.net. It's an exhaustive listing of varieties and useful information. The best is probably our fellow bnut, Leo in N E Illinois, the walking encyclopedia of horticulture. I have found him to be very helpful and encouraging when I reached out to him.
Henning's gives hardiness information for every cultivar described, but bear in mind that his frame of reference is things planted in the ground. For bonsai, you should probably discount those numbers by five or ten degrees to the warm side.
For what it's worth, I have four Satsuki's, alongside three rhododendrons that I am developing from nursery stock. I treat them all exactly the same, and they all appear to be thriving--same watering schedule, same fertilizer, everything. What I have found to be the bonus in working with the nursery stock is that you get a lot more bang for your buck when it comes to trunk thickness and motion. And again, just my opinion, but with Satsuki or Kurume [except for the Encore hybrids] you get three weeks of beautiful, followed by forty nine weeks of caring for them and waiting for the beauty part to come around again. All things being equal, repeat bloomers or everbloomers give you more opportunities to admire them.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Find small leaf varieties that fit your USDA zone - There are MANY :) I have never seen a large leaf variety reduce well. I recommend Evergreen types when starting.
For the record Satsuki just need to be kept from freezing and provided light for Winter.
Kurume are a similar but if you are in Zone 7 they would just need wind protection.
No "special" care but some common sense growing, for example ours get a maximum of 2 hours of direct sun on the longest day of the year here.
They grow just fine in black Premium Compost with Coarse Sand and a fair amount of Canadian sphagnum peat moss.
They like damp/not wet, never let them dry completely.
Being they like shaded and damp always be on the lookout for fungal problems or simply treat them with daconil a few times during the season.
I don't find a need for a lot of fertilizer because I grow them like shrubs in the ground, I certainly don't fertilize those a lot :p
Not certain what conditions are there for various bugs like spider mites but those are easy enough to treat quickly, so far we have been lucky here and the only time I see them is when Crystal brings home a sub tropical from a big box store :rolleyes:
Hope that helps a bit!

Grimmy

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I fertilize because I've gone the inorganic route. I'm doing equal parts of kanuma, Napa 8822, and Oil-Dri. I use Miracid for the fertilizer.
As usual, Grimmy's advice is spot on.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I fertilize because I've gone the inorganic route. I'm doing equal parts of kanuma, Napa 8822, and Oil-Dri. I use Miracid for the fertilizer.
As usual, Grimmy's advice is spot on.

Thank you, very kind of you and it gave me a grin!

Also, thanks for adding your advice for inorganic. I try to always mention I use organics now but that detail could be overlooked by others like the OP.

Grimmy

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine (about 60+ plants) freeze like a block of ice every winter with no protection and thrive. I love Satsuki for many reasons, but one is because they are so hardy and forgiving.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love Satsuki for many reasons, but one is because they are so hardy and forgiving.

You freeze Satsuki for extended periods? Something's wrong with that picture, are you certain?

Grimmy

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you all for the info.
Satsuki/Kurume - I can not currently protect from freezing and I suspect that after 2 or 3 weeks of 100+ temperatures I could just throw them onto the pile with all my Japanese maples. I could be wrong, I will have to try some sometime.
Although I am not apposed to satsuki or kurume I will probably just grab whatever I can find around here.
I have bookmarked rhodyman.net, lots of info in there to dig through.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I leave Satsuki outside unprotected in 100% Kanuma, yes. Now I am in Zone 8b, so temps get down to about 15-20 degrees in winter. The smaller 4 inch grow pots are like little Kanuma ice cubes in winter, they freeze solid! Below zone 7 you will need a cold frame for sure. What varieties do you grow Grimmy?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I leave Satsuki outside unprotected in 100% Kanuma, yes. Now I am in Zone 8b, so temps get down to about 15-20 degrees in winter. The smaller 4 inch grow pots are like little Kanuma ice cubes in winter, they freeze solid! Below zone 7 you will need a cold frame for sure. What varieties do you grow Grimmy?

What you are saying makes a little more sense now, mature Satsuki in your climate can handle some cold spells. It sounded like you were talking - temperatures for extended periods. They can actually take a few frosts and such here too. Just if they freeze solid for any period of time they exhibit poor growth and some branch dropping.
I have had many varieties of Azalea some which I managed to grow indoors and have baffled many in the Azalea Society of America. At present space only allows for a few and Satsuki varieties are my choice for that reason. I do have a Rhododendron as well that I am growing as a large cascade to add interest to a shelf. The Satsuki get unheated shed protection here and with light do just fine. Funny I am in 6b - 7 and we rarely see 10F and if so only for hours.
What I find interesting is you say Satsuki cuttings get and stay frozen for extended periods. Now I can see that IF they have little or no root and defrost slowly but otherwise is baffling - serious. Perhaps I misunderstand?

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah they do make good bonsai, and the large ones will reduce as well. This is a judge rodi

I agree but the OP mentioned as if he were just starting out with Azalea/Rhodo. I think it would be far easier to get dirty with Evergreen small leaf varieties first ;)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suspect that after 2 or 3 weeks of 100+ temperatures I could just throw them onto the pile with all my Japanese maples. I could be wrong, I will have to try some sometime.

As I stated, little Sun, damp, not wet... There are many in the Deep South, second to none.

Grimmy

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in 5b, and for the last few years we've had bizarre sequences of extreme cold, interspersed with warmer periods of sleet or rain. My solution [I have no garage]: I will spend Saturday assembling a greenhouse, 6 feet square and 6 1/2 feet at the peak. Made of polycarbonate panels, with a sliding door, and one of the roof panels is hinged to prop open for ventilation. If I remember correctly, it was $275 including shipping from Amazon. I have a ceramic space heater, and I'm going to put it on a thermostatic controller set to 30 degrees [another twenty bucks]. I'll be able to monitor the internal temp with a two piece wireless thermometer that will transmit to a display in the house. If we get a warm stretch where the temp is going to be above 40 for more than a day or two, I'll stash the azaleas in a mini-fridge I have, to keep 'em nice and sleepy. A couple of days in the dark will be a lot better than having them break dormancy and wake up too early. The rhodi's and hibiscus, and the weigela, are all amply cold hardy for this zone .
Other than controlling the temp, the greenhouse will also shelter its residents from getting drenched in an unseasonable rain and then having a hard freeze.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine stay in the garage all winter with one small window 10 feet away. They seem to be pretty ok with that

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine stay in the garage all winter with one small window 10 feet away. They seem to be pretty ok with that

Works great that way, Darlene has a tiny skylight in her Winter housing and all is good. My place is a Townhouse, end unit, with an attached shed made to blend into the structure, looks like a rear entrance. 30 inch steel door but zero light so I buff it with a single full spectrum CFL at 8 hours a day, seems to work out so far :) They don't need much but some.

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to BNut. I looked up Augusta Kansas before so I can give better horticulture advice. Your weather is probably similar to Wichita, Kansas, I'm assuming USDA zone 6, so at least once in a while your winters will get to -10 F or even a little colder. (that is -23 C for the rest of the world). No Satsuki hybrid will survive this. Some Kurume might, but you would have to research each individual hybrid to make certain its ancestry would make it hardy enough for your area.

There is no botanically significant distinction between Azalea and Rhododendron, All azaleas are Rhododendron. The gardener's definition is mainly based on whether flowers are in a truss, or single or low number of multiple at terminal bud of a branch. Intermediates between the types are common enough that the distinction is meaningless. Azaleas tend to have smaller leaves than truss forming Rhododendron. But there are some Rhododendron with leaves as small as the smallest of the azalea. Rhododendron is a huge group of species, with a wide range of traits. Only the species with leaves less than say 3 inches as a landscape plant are suitable for bonsai, with the smaller leaf species and hybrids being the best. A landscape plant with 3 inch leaves you ''should'' be able to get lead reduction to less than 1 inch, making it good for bonsai. Some of the Rhododendrons have coarse branching, and won't form fine twig patterns. The Satsuki have a nice fine branch/twig pattern.

Google John Geanangel, he's in Georgia, and is a much better azalea grower than me, he has a number of really informative videos on You Tube. He used to post here, still does occasionally, but has not had time to check in as often as he used to. Do check him out. His You Tube videos can really help you. His You Tube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxOEBT81SjIAoDQnpx49fbQ the Azalea videos are old, scoll back to 2011 or earlier. There are maybe 10 or so videos. Check them out. John is a well rounded bonsai artist, every video he puts out will teach you something, no matter the species.

So for Wichita area I would take two approaches.

#1. Look for azaleas sold in your local ''big box'' nurseries, or local specialty nurseries for azalea that are hardy in your area as landscape plants. These you will be able to winter by putting them in their pots in an unheated garage, tool shed, or other area to keep them out of the winter wind, and in the shade. So when they freeze, they freeze once, and stay frozen until spring. Freeze thaw cycling is rough on trees, so no direct sun in winter is critical. If the azalea is in a plastic pot, you can bury the pot to the rim in your garden bed, especially if it is in a shady spot. Mulch or cover as one would a hybrid tea rose, and dig up in spring. Easy. Low tech. Fancy ceramic bonsai pots are best if not subjected to below freezing temperatures or they may get broken. Good pots are frost proof., these tend to be expensive (north of $50 usd).

Encore hybrids might be listed as hardy for your area. Read labels to be certain this is true. I think they are fine for bonsai - but do differ from Satsuki. They have a somewhat coarse branch habit compared to Satsuki, and leaves will be larger, so plan a larger size bonsai - over 12 inches, or a design that does not need fine branching. Flowers are large, you will need to leave space between branches to make room for the flowers. If you don't compare them to 75 year old Japanese Satsuki, they are just fine as bonsai. They will no make the same refined image an old Satsuki will make. Encore hybrids are bred for easy bloom induction, which is why they bloom in Autumn. This will ''mess up'' the typical Satsuki azalea training Calendar of when to do what. In fact, you may find because of pruning work done in spring, your autumn flush of flowers on the Encore is heavier than the spring flush of flowers. If you have a collection that includes non-Encore types, you can take advantage of this.

Best reference for what to do when is the book published by Stone Lantern Press , by Callahan, I'm drawing a blank for the name, my copy is not in sight. Google Stone Lantern. Best English book on Azalea for Bonsai. Basically the techniques are the same whether it is a Satsuki or not.

Satsuki will grow in spring, pause, then flower, then resume growing. Kurume will flower first in spring, then grow. Most other species and hybrids of Rhododendron will flower first, then grow. When reading about Satsuki bonsai, remember that your non-Satsuki will respond more to the Kurume calendar of techniques.

The Northern Lights Series of Deciduous Azalea. This group of azalea hybrids is based on north american native species of azalea and is incredibly winter hardy. I only owned one for about 3 years, and never got it past pre-bonsai stage. The can work, don't try to make too small a tree with them. They will be frustrating, because the length of the internodes will be very long. You'll get a cluster of buds and branches, then a long stretch of wood with no buds or nodes, often over 6 inches between clusters of buds. or nodes. Aggressive pruning, alternating with letting it grow out a bit might bring it under control, but I have no first hand knowledge of success on this. I think more should experiment with this group. Some of the Northern Lights are good through zone 4, so are more than hardy enough for anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Other Rhododendrons - there are so many it is hard to generalize. PJM is a common hardy hybrid, leaves are a bit too large for bonsai, though some have used it. One parent of PJM is Rhododendron dauricum which is very winter hardy, and has very small leaves, it is a nice dwarf plant, but tends to be shrubby, almost ground cover like. This species has been used as bonsai, some of the other hybrids from it are pretty good too.

Approach #2 - build, develop, create, or find suitable winter storage for less than fully hardy true Satsuki, or the sub-tropical florists azalea. I winter my Satsuki in an unheated, below ground well house. It used to hold the pump for the farmhouse well. It is below ground, and in late autumn quickly gets colder than 40 F (+4 C) through winter it never gets colder than about 29 F, (-1 or -2 C) It is about 6 feet x 4 feet, I store all my zone 6 and 7 trees in there. I put the trees in after a few frosts, but before the pots have frozen solid. In the well house I have a fan running, just moving air around 24 hours a day, anytime there are plants in storage. Fan really helps with fungus issues. There is no light. IF trees are held at or below 40 F, metabolism is so slow that light really is not necessary. In spring the well house warms up as soil temps warm up. There is a point at which it will get over 40 F, and trees will want to start to grow. At that point I either begin the ''in& out Dance", or I squeeze them into the orchid's light garden. Usually this period is no more than 2 weeks, then it will be safe to leave them out for the growing season.

If you have a cool greenhouse, most Satsuki are happy with a winter dormancy where nights are between 55 F and 32 F, ( +13 C to 0 C). Note anytime temperatures are above 40 F Satsuki need bright light. They will be active to some degree when above 40 F and so will need the brightest light you can provide. A cool at night south windowsill can work quite well.

About the ''Florist's Azalea'' - these are hybrids, often with Satsuki, hybridized for the floral industry. Like the Encore series they were bred to be easy to induce blooming, so that they could be forced on schedule for holidays. They usually have R. simsii in their background, which is a species from Taiwan, and is quite frost tender. If you pick up an azalea at a ''big box store'' or even grocery store, and it is not specifically listed as being winter hardy, then it is probably one of the Florist's azalea hybrids. These can be trained just like a Satsuki, but they will tend to bloom in late autumn or winter, or early spring. They need to be treated like a tender sub-tropical. They will not tolerate a hard freeze. Colors in this group are almost as good as the Satsuki. I have several and they really are turning out to be nice. I winter them in the light garden with the orchids. Or in the dark, cold wellhouse. Either works well.

So, those are the basic thoughts I had. Some of this was copy and paste from past posts. There is a lot of detail to learn to design a good azalea bonsai, but they are sure fun during the learning process. I love the flowers. Right now I have only 5 Satsuki, one Satsuki-Kurume hybrid, and 4 different ''Florist's Azalea''. Not a big collection, but as they mature it takes more an more time to wire them out properly. Only 3 of my Satsuki are developed enough to be in ceramic pots, and get wired out every year. The rest are in plastic pots, pre-bonsai at best.

Azalea horticulture - soil, water, and fertilizer are a complex topic. If your water quality is good, water with low dissolved solids, rain water is ideal. Some places municipal water is good, most it is not. If your water is good, or you are able to use rain water 80% of the time or more, you can grow azalea in just about any mix. If your water is hard water, with lots of dissolved calcium, more than 200 ppm as Calcium Carbonate, you will have to do a bit of work to develop a potting mix and fertilizer program that will work for you. Your municipal water department should issue an annual water quality report. Look to see what the total dissolved solids is, usually in ppm. and if possible the total alkalinity in ppm as calcium carbonate. Either of these two numbers is much more important than pH. Don't bother getting excited about pH until after you know either your TDS or your total alkalinity. When you know your numbers, get a hold of me and we'll talk.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Leo in N E Illinois what kind of light do you give your satsuki during the growing season? I have read everything from bright full sun, to minimal dappled sun.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leo, Thank you very much, that was exactly the information I was wanting. I've been digging through old threads and figured some of it out, but not always sure if I'm understanding. I have found some of John's old posts, particularly his "Drastic Pruning" thread and watched a few of his videos, a lot of information to try to absorb.
I suspect I will keep it simple for now and see if I can get something to survive for a year or two before going all Rambo on one. A pretty bush in a pot will make my wife a lot happier than an actual bonsai on the compost pile.
One more question if I may: How would I go about getting those big gnarly trunks? (other than finding and buying it) If I put it in the ground or generous pot and let it grow, how much pruning/training should it get? I'm assuming NOT a chop like my elms.

Top Bottom