Azaleas in Little Rock

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm going to be in Little Rock next weekend (May 1). Is there a nursery where I might find a larger azalea? Specifically, I'm looking for a Hino Crimson in a 5 gallon or larger pot.
Or any nursery I might check out looking for bonsai material?

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The better nurseries are Holcotts, Good Earth, and Plantopia though I can’t guarantee you’ll find the azaleas you’re looking for. I scan Holcotts every couple weeks and haven’t bought anything since January. Can’t believe Arkansas even came up on the forum! There’s another nursery, Botanica Gardens which is owned by same people as plantopia but located in Little Rock proper and very close to Holcotts conveniently, they sell mallsai but they also have young, untrained starts of hinnoki, seju and a couple other “bonsai” species that are reasonably priced

Last edited:

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@James W. Just took some birthday money to Holcotts and Botanica garden, small azalea selections that were mostly huge leaf and no single trunks. Didn’t buy anything at either place or even find something I considered. Haven’t had time go to Plantopia or good earth since my bday though but their selections are always 3-4x bigger to begin with

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No azaleas. I found a dwarf wisteria I didn't even knew existed, and I picked up a Fernspray Gold hinoki cypress both at Botanica Garden. By the time we headed out Saturday afternoon we were in too much of a hurry to check out Good Earth.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The cool place to find azaleas around Little Rock is actually a 45 min drive…. Ronnie Palmer’s Azale Hill Gardens and Nursery in Pine Bluff. Dunno if he’s got many 5 gal around though.

Hino Crimsons are like potato chips out here! You can’t just get one of them. It seems 5 gal are rare in our nurseries though as they fly off the shelves all are 1 gal with double trunks.

That said, they are still online. Here’s a place that still has them. Might be worth a call.

cheers
DSD sends

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The cool place to find azaleas around Little Rock is actually a 45 min drive…. Ronnie Palmer’s Azale Hill Gardens and Nursery in Pine Bluff. Dunno if he’s got many 5 gal around though.

Hino Crimsons are like potato chips out here! You can’t just get one of them. It seems 5 gal are rare in our nurseries though as they fly off the shelves all are 1 gal with double trunks.

That said, they are still online. Here’s a place that still has them. Might be worth a call.

cheers
DSD sends
Wow. Never heard of it, I’m liking those prices and that inventory list though. Thank you it sounds like a day trip in the making

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are welcome.

Ronnie has been a key member of the Arkansas Azalea Society and the ASA a long time. One of Arkansas pride and joy in the field. He’s been doing azaleas since I was way younger!

I got 18 liners from him last fall, mostly Satsuki and Huang. All are doing
well after being in the cold frame last winter and looking good.

Not sure if Ronnie sells larger plants, yet he certainly might. Especially if he doesn’t have to Mail them out. Give him an email or call and chat him up.

best
DSD sends

Top Bottom