Azaleas in Socal

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone here keeps azaleas in Los Angeles. I have a few I got earlier this year on a whim. Never have tried them before but my wife likes flowers so I thought I would try a few out.
Grabbed three different varieties in four plants. Two satsuki and two indica. One gallon nursery cans repotted into kanuma. My water is filtered into a 55 gallon drum, treated with an acid ph additive and I keep it around 6-6,5. I use it for almost all my plants and that’s what my pines and junipers like so everything else has to get close to their target mark, as I have a camellia and now these azaleas and a few other species. So far plants are growing. Backbudding, producing next years buds etc. Feeding biogold and a little kelp here and there. One struggling behind the others in vigor, but I probably just leaned on its root system too much when potting. Anyhow weighing the pots and seeing the kanuma dry on top I have decided to add a layer of mountain moss. I am wondering how thick? Very thin or is this a 1/4” layer? I understand it can lower the ph a bit, but also wonder if this might lead to over watering problems? Also I am wondering about sun exposure. I have them under a big podacarpus tree for shade/filtered sunlight and they get maybe direct sun from dawn until 8:30 am or so.
Anyhow just wondering if my program for these guys needs any tweaks. I hate to go a year, have a problem, and realize I made a long term boo boo. That kills me with bonsai. Lastly I’m growing for blooms, not a trunk. Just gonna brighten up the very green garden for the little lady. Thanks for any help.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
I’m your neighbor. They can do much more sun than that here. May be healthier for you too.
Thanks for the reply. How much you expose yours to? I got a spot from dawn till 12:30 or so…could ease them into it. Both satsuki and indica or is one more tolerant than the other?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not to put too fine a point on it, but if they're growing great and healthy, then I wouldn't go looking to switch things up just because.

Re: sun exposure, there are thousands of different satsukis, each with its own tolerances. Bigger leaves handle sun and heat better.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
I’m your neighbor. They can do much more sun than that here. May be healthier for you
Not to put too fine a point on it, but if they're growing great and healthy, then I wouldn't go looking to switch things up just because.

Re: sun exposure, there are thousands of different satsukis, each with its own tolerances. Bigger leaves handle sun and heat better.
Thanks. That’s good to know. I’m just hoping to make sure I’m doing things the right way is all. Yes they are growing just wondering if I could squeeze more growth out of the plants via optimal conditions.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Poster above gave good advice. I have had indicas to about 6 hrs full sun. All that changes with Santa Anas and a heat wave though. If you keep them put, just keep an eye on lanky stretched growth. If so more sun.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Poster above gave good advice. I have had indicas to about 6 hrs full sun. All that changes with Santa Anas and a heat wave though. If you keep them put, just keep an eye on lanky stretched growth. If so more sun.
Much appreciated. Thanks!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We have numerous azaleas here in Kanuma. Many have a thick layer of Yamagoke moss on them. Once you get the moss growing well, it will thicken up on its own. Start with somewhere under 1/4”.

There should be no issue watering. Kanuma can only hold so much water and then dumps the rest. The amount held at 100% is fine for azaleas. Some Japanese masters have said it’s impossible to overwater Kanuma…. Just make two passes each time, thoroughly watering the Kanuma with each pass. One can also water the leaves as long as they will dry by about 1 hour before sundown.

Satsukis can indeed handle more sun, but increase by stages. However, as stated before, narrow leaved satsuki do not like the heat, enjoying more shade and misting, while round leaved varieties can handle more.

@Firstflush, you really have a good point about the Santa Ana’s. Wondering what techniques you use to keep azaleas healthy then? Do you have a wind sheltered area for those times, mist more etc?

cheers
DSD sends

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I move them to a boxed in part of my yard to protect from hot wind like on the side of the BBQ with a property wall on the other. In those conditions I may do a single pass over the top with a wand too, but only if they have time to dry out by evening.

I’m no azalea pro. Saw many cultivars over the years working as a horticulturist at a nursery where I witnessed the seasonal changes. At the nursery all the shade, tropicals, acid loving plants were permanently displayed under about a 40-60% shade cloth….a shade house if you will.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
My setup is on an east facing wall. Looks like this. I’m about four miles from the beach. This I took this morning around ten am. image.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like the trees ought to be getting bright shade for a good deal of the day.

It seems the wall, being east of the trees, will block the Santa Ana wind somewhat. It will flow over the top of the wall, being partially blocked.

There might be a need to add something in the lattices to ease the wind flowing over and drying out the trees or simply put the trees lower on a couple crates or something.

Best of luck!

Cheers
DSD sends

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Looks like the trees ought to be getting bright shade for a good deal of the day.

It seems the wall, being east of the trees, will block the Santa Ana wind somewhat. It will flow over the top of the wall, being partially blocked.

There might be a need to add something in the lattices to ease the wind flowing over and drying out the trees or simply put the trees lower on a couple crates or something.

Best of luck!

Cheers
DSD sends
Thank you!

Top Bottom