B.uneasy's Little Christmas Tree Entry

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is my beautiful Blue Spruce I got from lowes at an oddly low price of $12! One trunk on it. Planning on giving it a repot next spring. The roots are horribly bound. Then I will wire and style the spring after that. He's a big boy, and looks nice next to the fake Christmas tree. I'm debating on pruning a few branches, but may be getting ahead of myself. We'll see!20191221_091859.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oddly low price of $12!

Hell yeah! With the tin pot upgrade! Usually they're like $45!

If you want to prune it to see in, take your time to remove the one or 2 best branches to allow you a good visual.

It's better to have an easy view, especially with them bone hitting needles.

Sorce

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is the base of the tree. Nice bit of movement. This tree is so thick it's been hard to look inside. Guess that's a good thing.

Attachments

• 20191221_093415.jpg
    20191221_093415.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 27

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hell yeah! With the tin pot upgrade! Usually they're like $45!

If you want to prune it to see in, take your time to remove the one or 2 best branches to allow you a good visual.

It's better to have an easy view, especially with them bone hitting needles.

Sorce
It was a $65 dollar price tag on Thursday. I go back on Sunday and the price tag wasn't on it. It was the last one. She told me it was $12! Somone bought 4 before me.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I wondered when you were going to bring your entry out! Looks nice and healthy, and another spruce too. It'll be a case of who blinks first on getting the work started I reckon.

Those are crazy prices to start with though. You can get a 5footer over here for like 45 quid or so, from the big box places. I'm counting down til the reduced ones are out.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is my beautiful Blue Spruce I got from lowes at an oddly low price of $12! One trunk on it. Planning on giving it a repot next spring. The roots are horribly bound. Then I will wire and style the spring after that. He's a big boy, and looks nice next to the fake Christmas tree. I'm debating on pruning a few branches, but may be getting ahead of myself. We'll see!View attachment 275127
Vary nice little tree. If you really want to do this tree justice, I wouldn't rush your steps to try and hit the 3 year mark. I say that because I could see this one looking real good with alittle longer to cook. Good luck

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vary nice little tree. If you really want to do this tree justice, I wouldn't rush your steps to try and hit the 3 year mark. I say that because I could see this one looking real good with alittle longer to cook. Good luck
I've really been giving this one some thought. It does have a nice shape near the base. I feel like this would make good material with some age and styling. Three years does seem like it could make or break a contestant's material. I may go out and look for some more material. Thank you very much. This next three years I will worry about repotting, root issues, and may do a little trim or wiring.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've really been giving this one some thought. It does have a nice shape near the base. I feel like this would make good material with some age and styling. Three years does seem like it could make or break a contestant's material. I may go out and look for some more material. Thank you very much. This next three years I will worry about repotting, root issues, and may do a little trim or wiring.
That or if you only wanted to invest in the one tree for the contest, just know that its just going to be the first 3 years of it's life and not a "finished" tree at the end.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...just know that its just going to be the first 3 years of it's life and not a "finished" tree at the end.

This is my mantra for all of my XmasTree entries, too! Better to have a great bonsai in 5-6 years than a good one in 3 yrs

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is my beautiful Blue Spruce I got from lowes at an oddly low price of $12! One trunk on it. Planning on giving it a repot next spring. The roots are horribly bound. Then I will wire and style the spring after that. He's a big boy, and looks nice next to the fake Christmas tree. I'm debating on pruning a few branches, but may be getting ahead of myself. We'll see!View attachment 275127
$32 is the cheapest for those exact ones around here! Great find. Good luck!

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I feel like it may be around time to start undressing the tree of it's christmas attire. Now I have to find a nice pot and figure when to transplant.

Attachments

• 20200315_112343.jpg
    20200315_112343.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 11

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Digging down farther into the pot to find that the base of the trunk was significantly fatter than I thought it was. Several branches were buried under the soil. 20200327_153341.jpg

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Buds are all opened up and pretty! Do I see a possible second flush later in the growing season? 😌 Lots and lots of fertilizer used.20200516_144748.jpg20200516_144815.jpg

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are coming closer to the end of the Little Christmas Tree contest. Final photos should be posted in your individual threads, and will be voted on by the general membership starting on April 30.

Time to start thinking about your repotting, final design, wiring, pruning and generally getting the trees in shape for the contest!

Top Bottom