Baby Brazilian Rain Tree advice wanted

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Lance has some really nice BRT's, and I think he was trying to contribute something helpful. Maybe don't take everything so seriously, a sense of humor is helpful here. Best of luck with your tree. I have several BRT's, fun trees.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lance has some really nice BRT's, and I think he was trying to contribute something helpful. Maybe don't take everything so seriously, a sense of humor is helpful here. Best of luck with your tree. I have several BRT's, fun trees.
Okay thanks Carol 83. That's good to know. I'm kind of new to internet forums. My son actually said something similar to what you said. I'll try to be more.......savvy?
Anyway thanks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would have probably waited another 2-3 months before doing that much cutting on this tree.
My BRT are currently going through their "dormant period". They typically dont show much growth in January-February despite being in my basement and under lights for 16 hours a day. In March they will start growing again and will be a bush (if I dont trim them) by the time summer comes and I can get them outside

For now leave it alone and dont do anything else except water it and give it as much light as you can.
Supplimental lighting is better than just putting it in a south facing window. It should start putting out new foliage in a few weeks and you can start feeding it again then.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Paradox
I actually do have it under a cf grow light now. However I do have a much bigger BRT that’s survived this winter with absolutely no supplemental lighting and virtually zero leaf drop.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The bark turns brown and flakes off like a Sycamore. The bark evolves to many shades of brown.
BRT 2019_1222EditRepot0010.JPG

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cool. I’ve seen other pics and videos of BRT’s and that’s one of the things I love about them. Beautiful trees.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I watched a video on Youtube where a guy explained there are 2 types of BRT's. One with straight trunks and one with twisting trunks. Do any of you have any knowledge of this? Is this true?
I think this post prooves you right. The tree shown here has nothing of the fluted appearence of some others.
The bark evolves to many shades of brown.

Some people don't want a tall tree. I don't talk bad about the "Too Tall Jones" BRT that make up 90% of the starters I see here that have zero character within a foot of the pot

Not sure I have seen those. Any examples of what you mean?
What is wrong with a tall tree?

Should it be a two trunk or single trunk tree? If I leave the big side branch near the bottom will it adversely affect the taper?
Question is.. What are you after long-term. How big a tree. Very heavy trunked or not. One thing to keep in mind with BRT is that they will fatten up the branch-attachments to the trunk. This may result in odd shaped trunk leading to a concept of inverse taper. Be aware of this risk, and remove branches before the start to dominate the trunkline.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Leatherback,
I’ve already removed the lower branch as you can see in my previous posts.

Question! I see for example, a Fukien tea tree or Chinese elms with S shaped trunks. Are these trees not wired as seedlings into that shape? And if so, can’t a BRT similarly be wired as a seedling?

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 286853Here's my older BRT with the "too tall Jones" look. It's doing very well but I don't think I've been pruning it properly. I've been getting a lot of new growth the last couple weeks. The moss on top of the soil turns a brilliant green in the summer. If you look at my profile I beleive there's a picture.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First pic is from last October. Second is today.

Attachments

• 03A6AA6C-987F-4C7D-B6AF-EDC4B67572DE.jpeg
    03A6AA6C-987F-4C7D-B6AF-EDC4B67572DE.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 47
  • F8F532B3-595A-416E-B05D-24CC9C250B0E.jpeg
    F8F532B3-595A-416E-B05D-24CC9C250B0E.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 48

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They have a tendency to grow twigs straight as an arrow to the moon with a cluster of leaves every 2" or so. This is very hard to moderate, much less overcome, if it can be at all. You need to encourage ramification by trimming after two clusters of leaves on a given bull twig. Rarely, they will ramify at that point. More often, it will send out another twig at the base of the twig instead where you trimmed. The new twig will grow to the moon with leaf clusters every 2", so you have to continue to be vigilant. Eventually, you will have enough twigs (primary tips) to form an opaque canopy. Some of the best, thick-looking canopies you see are rat's nests of criss-crossing bull canes that have escaped control. Choose your poison.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Forsoothe,
I would love to see pictures of others BRT's. If anything for a little inspiration.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They have a tendency to grow twigs straight as an arrow to the moon with a cluster of leaves every 2" or so. This is very hard to moderate, much less overcome, if it can be at all. You need to encourage ramification by trimming after two clusters of leaves on a given bull twig. Rarely, they will ramify at that point. More often, it will send out another twig at the base of the twig instead where you trimmed. The new twig will grow to the moon with leaf clusters every 2", so you have to continue to be vigilant. Eventually, you will have enough twigs (primary tips) to form an opaque canopy. Some of the best, thick-looking canopies you see are rat's nests of criss-crossing bull canes that have escaped control. Choose your poison.
nope.gif

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you're confusing blather and banter with intelligent conversation. Whether the trees are as I have described them, or as you seem to be indicating is below the dignity of a response.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Thanks LanceMac10, some great info in those threads.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find they do not turn brown, but a dark green and silver/white depending on the stage of shedding the bark.

Trees grown from seed will have thorns. There is however a variety that is cutting grown, or so I believe, which does not have thorns. I have both here and the ones without thors have larger leaves and seem to be coarser overall.

I have turned to wiring the your still pliable growth. If left along they will become very long growing to hanging branches without interest

A solid prune when growing strongly resulted on my tree in buds jumping everywhere and using the opportunity.

Top Bottom