Baby brazilian rain trees

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I planted 35 brazilian rain tree seed this past Friday with my son an so far 17 have come up. The first one popped up by the next morning. There not all in the picture but I'm super excited! For some reason my pictures won't show up but I tried to upload a couple.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wow, I planted some a week and a half ago and so far, nothing. What is your set-up are they covered?

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, I planted some a week and a half ago and so far, nothing. What is your set-up are they covered?
Did you scar them then let sit in warm water for 24 hrs? They have a waterproof coating.There in peatmoss/perlite. An yes there covered I'm currently useing a seed starter kit from Amazon with a tiny grow light in the top.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Did you scar them then let sit in warm water for 24 hrs? They have a waterproof coating.There in peatmoss/perlite. An yes there covered I'm currently useing a seed starter kit from Amazon with a tiny grow light in the top.
I followed the instructions from the person I got them from. I scratched up some with an emery board and the rest I soaked for 24 hours. If they don't work out, I have some more.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I followed the instructions from the person I got them from. I scratched up some with an emery board and the rest I soaked for 24 hours. If they don't work out, I have some more.
Hmm that's weird. So far all of mine took but 5. I have a couplecthat looks like there going to be a double trunk. Also I clipped mine with finger nail clippers then rubbed them on a file

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll post some pictures tonight. I'm trying to upload my most recent one but I think the image I'd to large.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have clipped them and other hard seeds with a nail clipper and then soaked overnight. I never used a file. Last week I started Brazilian Ironwood. Only one bad seed in 20. I haven't seen BRT seeds in years and when I did the seed were not that fresh.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ordered mine off of etsy all that person sales is tree seeds
Thanks. I could not find them last year but I found the listing and just bought 20 seeds. His reviews were very good. Still, more sellers claiming to have BRT seeds actually are selling Brazilian Ironwoon. He is using the right botanical name so I hope they are true. Since I have new sprouted Ironwood, I have something to compare them with. I also still have 9 ironwood seeds so I can do a side by side comparison and I can plant them at the same time using same conditions.
I appreciate your posting.

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. I could not find them last year but I found the listing and just bought 20 seeds. His reviews were very good. Still, more sellers claiming to have BRT seeds actually are selling Brazilian Ironwoon. He is using the right botanical name so I hope they are true. Since I have new sprouted Ironwood, I have something to compare them with. I also still have 9 ironwood seeds so I can do a side by side comparison and I can plant them at the same time using same conditions.
I appreciate your posting.
I plain to order another 100+ just gotta get seed starter stuff. I'm about to take pics of how they currently look

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A follow up. To show the effects of seen nicking, I soaked all these seeds 24 hours. There are 6 seeds in each jar. Seeds in first jar were soaked after nicking seeds with nail clippers. All have taken on water and swelled and though it cannot likely be seen in this picture, two already have radicals emerging. Second picture has only one seed swollen and these seeds were soaked without nicking the hard seed coat.
This small experiment was just for the benefit of those who are hesitant to nick their seeds. Obviously you must be gentle with this procedure.
IMG_6663.JPGIMG_6664.JPG

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A follow up. To show the effects of seen nicking, I soaked all these seeds 24 hours. There are 6 seeds in each jar. Seeds in first jar were soaked after nicking seeds with nail clippers. All have taken on water and swelled and though it cannot likely be seen in this picture, two already have radicals emerging. Second picture has only one seed swollen and these seeds were soaked without nicking the hard seed coat.
This small experiment was just for the benefit of those who are hesitant to nick their seeds. Obviously you must be gentle with this procedure.
View attachment 449658View attachment 449659
After clipping mine the ones that didn't do anything I took a finger nail file to where I clipped and put back in water for another 24 hrs and all took but 5 . Saying that not all have grown into little trees. I should have the time to take updated pictures tonight.

Top Bottom