baby JBP next to the edge of a bottle

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planted this JBP seed on the edge of the bottle so I could see it grow because my other ones wasn't growing (Didn't bother stratifying) but as you can see in the photo, I realized it was a mistake because its close the the edge of the bottle and its going to have poor growing space. I was wondering if I could transplant it somewhere else now or let it grow bigger until I can transplant (until the seed cap flys off ofc). i don't have much Resources so i had to go with a plastic bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.png
    IMG_0019.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I planted this JBP seed on the edge of the bottle so I could see it grow because my other ones wasn't growing (Didn't bother stratifying) but as you can see in the photo, I realized it was a mistake because its close the the edge of the bottle and its going to have poor growing space. I was wondering if I could transplant it somewhere else now or let it grow bigger until I can transplant (until the seed cap flys off ofc). i don't have much Resources so i had to go with a plastic bottle.
Not a JBP expert, but from my recent experience i would wait a bit longer as the roots of my JBP seedling where so soft that they tore just by looking at them. So i would say wait until pretty much around the time they would make seedling cuttings, ie when the stem starts turning red and a second second set of needles starts pushing out.

The reason for this suggestion is that, as they make seedling cuttings at this stage the reasoning is that it should be able to survive a "simple" transplant, even if a few roots are lost

Picture from bonsai tonight's website to get a better reference.

1677825496442.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've grown a lot of JBP from seed. They can be potted on any time from germination through to a year or so old.
Very young seedlings as shown in #1 will usually just have the single radicle (root) and no lateral roots. At that stage you can transplant and keep the root intact if frightened to cut roots but I snip roots around half as I transplant. No harm but snipping the root early promotes plenty of lateral roots which will form better nebari later.
Alternative is to leave it for a few more weeks. By then the root should have started some lateral roots. Again, snip the long root just below a cluster of laterals before potting into a new pot.
Young seedlings are programmed to grow roots snipping roots at this stage has minimal effect on the seedling but will promote a much better root system for future bonsai.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May want to pot on sooner than later……..its life is in a 60/40 % existance of damp off or live at the moment in the organics.

Top Bottom