Baby Katsura

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just sharing my new Maple from Brent... Moved from shipping container into 2 gallon growing bag... Will try to leave alone this year, stew about where to chop next. Love the color of the leaves, think Fall will be better.
Brent3870BB40-C49A-49D8-97DA-04A1CEDDFBAE.jpeg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From my favorite Clapton album....

dsc02422-jpg.231308

much more colorful in spring. not many leaves make it to October!:(:D:D:D:D:D:D

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice choice! I’m assuming this is from Evergreen Gardenworks. I’m about to order a few myself!

Was this ordered as the 2 3/4”, 4”, or one gallon?

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice choice! I’m assuming this is from Evergreen Gardenworks. I’m about to order a few myself!

Yes, evergreen - 1 gal. I debated which to buy all winter, think the colors of this finally won out. Think it will be beautiful in a few years, really looking forward to watching its growth

B

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! I agree, the colors are beautiful. This thread might put me over the top and make me pull the trigger on one myself....

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

The 1st one here I got from Brent last year. Pretty sure it was 2-3/4" pot
which I moved to a 6" round shortly after I got it.
2nd one in ground I got from eBay. Ground is warmer than air so most of my maples
in ground are opening up ahead of the ones in pots with a few exceptions, but Kat for Kat
and Viridis for Viridis, potted ones are lagging behind in ground ones.

Faked me out. I thought this was a thread about a Cercidiphyllum.
Huh. Had to look that one up too.
I have an acer Japonicum but not Cercidiphyllum Japonicum.

Attachments

• DSC_2849.JPG
    DSC_2849.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_2851.JPG
    DSC_2851.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow! That’s a lot bigger than I expected for a 3” pot.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow! That’s a lot bigger than I expected for a 3” pot.
With the pot gone, and the lack of account details (can't view history/orders) on his site
there's a chance it was a 4". If both available, I'd always go for the larger of the 2. Document your trees...
Just pulled my Viridis from the hibernation cave. It's just a weak cutting, and pretty small
but hey!...it survived me for one Winter and that's always a plus :)
Yes, evergreen - 1 gal. I debated which to buy all winter, think the colors of this finally won out. Think it will be beautiful in a few years, really looking forward to watching its growth

B
Wish I'd gone for the 1g but was keeping cost down as I got several items.
Glad the fires didn't knock him out. Essence of the Tree in Potter Valley, Ca considered calling it quits
but still there. They had to evacuate several times this year though...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Faked me out. I thought this was a thread about a Cercidiphyllum.
Would you be speaking of the likes of the one @grouper52 put in his resource thread on "baby bending"?
Those trees are pretty sweet trees, especially the European hornbeam. Looks like a miniature of an old American beech,
one of which my Dad and I cut for firewood with a 2 man crosscut saw, then had to carry it steeply uphill to the house.

This is what bonsai should invoke, memories, feelings, inspirations.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would you be speaking of the likes of the one @grouper52 put in his resource thread on "baby bending"?
Those trees are pretty sweet trees, especially the European hornbeam. Looks like a miniature of an old American beech,
one of which my Dad and I cut for firewood with a 2 man crosscut saw, then had to carry it steeply uphill to the house.

This is what bonsai should invoke, memories, feelings, inspirations.
Agreed that the artistic side is about invoking memories, feelings, inspirations. The other side is about horticulture/physiology.

I was interested because I have a 'Red Fox' (actually 'Rotfuchs') Katsura cultivar that I'm trying to make into a bonsai. I was expecting ...

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wanted to put a new pic up, for posterity.. it's pretty happy I think, put on a good deal of foliage... Love the color, pretty happy with my choice there

BCB307907-FB2A-45B1-87DD-9D6E1D4D9572.jpegDA742DCC-D641-4776-945F-C1D4F9D41980.jpeg

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just wanted to put a new pic up, for posterity.. it's pretty happy I think, put on a good deal of foliage... Love the color, pretty happy with my choice there

BView attachment 240325View attachment 240326

Looking good. I've got two maples that I got from Brent. Both are doing very well.
I've been thinking or ordering another. I know think I know which one.
One of the things that sold me on Brent was the cutting grown thing.
I don't really like grafted trunks.

?

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking of chopping it, or air layering it above the lower branches on the right - is that reasonable, should I wait another year? Growing great... 7.5" pot, considering putting back in a growing bag, but I am not sure that's necessary if I keep it smaller - maybe after separating the trees?
Brent

Attachments

• 55CB06B8-A9EC-44DD-A645-A9713EBEBEC0.jpeg
    55CB06B8-A9EC-44DD-A645-A9713EBEBEC0.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 64
Top Bottom