Baby Mume what do I do..

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are really nice @junmilo !
I am amazed you are growing them in Toronto - how are you don't this?

Were they mine, I would keep them small and play (i.e., just go with your whims) - hone in on making them bloom.

Outside in summer/fall. Garage with grow light and fan... During spring/winter.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are very nice, wow. Love the color of the red one.

If they were mine, for this year, your first year with them, I'd let them grow.

They are more than a year.. I took them from my father.. He had umes for awhile, I think since late 80s to early 90s. He said they are about 8 yrs (grafted) Hope I don't kill them.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love them. I hope you don't kill them either! They are, and will be, beautiful. I need to get hold of one to try myself.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would imagine the best direction...would come from your father. Who understands your climate and their needs.that white with pink bloom...oh my!

I doubt he can help with the English translation (he can't really communicate in English)...google translator sucks too...I was looking at the list of evergreen gardenworks, was hard too.

Here's the Japanese ID:

White Flower verity in Japanese is called: 茶青梅
Red/dark pink verity in Japanese is called: 末開红
The white/pink verity in Japanese is called: 寒红梅

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I doubt he can help with the English translation (he can't really communicate in English)...google translator sucks too...I was looking at the list of evergreen gardenworks, was hard too.

Here's the Japanese ID:

White Flower verity in Japanese is called: 茶青梅
Red/dark pink verity in Japanese is called: 末開红
The white/pink verity in Japanese is called: 寒红梅
You...don't speak the same language as your father? I didn't realize this.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Still like to know the English name for the varieties.
I have seen the white flower varieties called Yabai; pink called Hibai; and the dark pink called Kobai. I dont recall finding an English named cultivar for these Japanese varieties, but there are quite a few named cultivars.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen the white flower varieties called Yabai; pink called Hibai; and the dark pink called Kobai. I dont recall finding an English named cultivar for these Japanese varieties, but there are quite a few named cultivars.

Thank you Brian.

We call the white one: 茶青梅 chaseibai
We call the dark pink one: 未开红梅 bikaikoubai
We call the white/pink one: 寒红梅 kankoubai

JZ

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice trees Junmilo

Evergreen gardenworks has a bunch of named varieties. Not sure if it will help identify yours but it's worth a look..

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/prunus.htm

Brent is the only place I know in the US selling ungrafted mume. I only have two that I have been growing out for years but so far they have been relatively easy. grow like weeds and trunk up quickly and to me they are the best flowering species for bonsai. Azalea make a bold show, but i find something about the delicate flowers of mume a little more appealing. I've already placed my order from him for some more! Get em before they are gone!

Top Bottom