Baby Procumbens Needs Help!

rosieface

Seedling
Reaction score
I was watering my procumbens this afternoon when I saw a flash of yellow down in the roots. I lifted up the tree to see what looks to be a yellow mold. I took a couple of pictures but they're not really that good. The good news is that from the trunk up the little guy still seems to be pretty healthy, so does anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this?

Attachments

• IMG-20110707-00020.jpg
    IMG-20110707-00020.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-20110707-00021.jpg
    IMG-20110707-00021.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 68

rosieface

Seedling
Reaction score
After several unsuccessful attempts to take a better picture, and some internet research, I think what I may have is a slime mold, which has an alarming appearance but is probably not harmful.

Even so, I think most of the people here know more than I do, so I am still open to comments and advice. In the meantime, I will keep a close eye on the tree and if it starts looking sick I will remove the mold and do a repot with new soil.

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to let the roots dry out more between waterings.

rosieface

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to do that. It's just been so hot here lately, the soil seems to dry out crazy fast. I think I need to check more thoroughly.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
For a juniper, the soil SHOULD dry out between watering. Let it get dry, then water.

Top Bottom