Baby Shimpaku!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Found this Shimpaku, grown in Boring, OR, at a local Maryland nursery, which caught me off guard. Thought it was a fun find and a good chance to grow something up. Would you have bought it?20220525_124014.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Depending on the price. If it's below 30 dollars I'd buy it.
If it's above 30, I would have ordered some online from a bonsai nursery.

Junipers are fun and itoigawa is a pretty fast grower. Kishu not that fast, but still fun to play with.

The one you have looks like it has a fat trunk, that can be a challenge for smaller material because they're harder to bend. The plus side is that there's less waiting for it to thicken up.
In the first year my own cuttings went from pencil-lead thickness to chopstick thickness, the next year from chopstick to thumb thickness. Basically doubled every year.

If yours were mine, I would strategically wire it this year while keeping all foliage, and strategically prune and repot the next year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well that's what I'll do, then! Got it for $20, with an Uncle Sam discount. 👍
Depending on the price. If it's below 30 dollars I'd buy it.
If it's above 30, I would have ordered some online from a bonsai nursery.

Junipers are fun and itoigawa is a pretty fast grower. Kishu not that fast, but still fun to play with.

The one you have looks like it has a fat trunk, that can be a challenge for smaller material because they're harder to bend. The plus side is that there's less waiting for it to thicken up.
In the first year my own cuttings went from pencil-lead thickness to chopstick thickness, the next year from chopstick to thumb thickness. Basically doubled every year.

If yours were mine, I would strategically wire it this year while keeping all foliage, and strategically prune and repot the next year.
Well that's what I'll do, then! Got it for $20, with an Uncle Sam discount. 👍

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would you have bought it?
I did buy some 3 of them just like yours Iseli shimpaku 5 years ago and planted them in a grow bed. They are now looking like they are going to make some very nice trees. This year I plan on getting a bunch of cuttings from them.

Top Bottom