back budding dwarf alberta spruce?

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yesterday I took my truck and a chain and Yamadoried a 5in caliper dwarf alberta spruce out of the ground. It was destined for a burn pile anyway so.... I may try to work with it.
Does this species back bud on the interior? I cut the top off to leave about 18 in of trunk. It has the dreaded green helmet of foliage at the extreme ends of the branches. I'll build a box and see if it lives IF there is a chance it will back bud closer into the trunk. thanks. I'd post a picture but I am a complete technochimp. thanks

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, this species does bud on the interior and if you really do a good job of this, then alberta spruce will bud straight out of the trunk too.

The ingredients:

• Light hitting areas where you want that budding. A hollowed-out yard-grown alberta spruce may have a lot of interior shade. So you may need to clean out / thin out / simplify the tree a little bit, but this has to be balanced against the second ingredient (vigor/momentum). My teacher retains LOTS of excess branches on ezo spruce during development, and I do the same with alberta spruce.
  • STRONG vigor / momentum. The growth you do leave on the tree needs to be allowed to really run. Retaining more branching helps establish this momentum. You might retain a lot more branches than you'll use just so you can put sugar in the bank for a couple years, let that excess branching pay back a few seasons worth, then start reducing. Spruce richly rewards patience and severely punishes insta-bonsai temptations.
  • Lowering branches with wire until the tips are lower than the base of their parent branch. This will tilt the odds in favor of existing interior growth producing more interior growth, existing interior growth strengthening, and interior dormant buds forming/growing. Note that styling (wiring) the tree's branches so that they're lowered does not violate the "let growth really run" requirement, but excessive pruning does.
  • Competent horticulture: Outdoors, full sun, excellent drainage, lots of air in the roots. Deal breaker. Nothing else in this list works without this.
  • Avoiding stripping the tree of your retained surplus branching for as long as it takes until the tree is fully recovered and bushy from the transition process into aggregate (bonsai-style) soil.
  • Avoiding shallow pots / bonsai pots during this period.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yes, this species does bud on the interior and if you really do a good job of this, then alberta spruce will bud straight out of the trunk too.

The ingredients:

• Light hitting areas where you want that budding. A hollowed-out yard-grown alberta spruce may have a lot of interior shade. So you may need to clean out / thin out / simplify the tree a little bit, but this has to be balanced against the second ingredient (vigor/momentum). My teacher retains LOTS of excess branches on ezo spruce during development, and I do the same with alberta spruce.
  • STRONG vigor / momentum. The growth you do leave on the tree needs to be allowed to really run. Retaining more branching helps establish this momentum. You might retain a lot more branches than you'll use just so you can put sugar in the bank for a couple years, let that excess branching pay back a few seasons worth, then start reducing. Spruce richly rewards patience and severely punishes insta-bonsai temptations.
  • Lowering branches with wire until the tips are lower than the base of their parent branch. This will tilt the odds in favor of existing interior growth producing more interior growth, existing interior growth strengthening, and interior dormant buds forming/growing. Note that styling (wiring) the tree's branches so that they're lowered does not violate the "let growth really run" requirement, but excessive pruning does.
  • Competent horticulture: Outdoors, full sun, excellent drainage, lots of air in the roots. Deal breaker. Nothing else in this list works without this.
  • Avoiding stripping the tree of your retained surplus branching for as long as it takes until the tree is fully recovered and bushy from the transition process into aggregate (bonsai-style) soil.
  • Avoiding shallow pots / bonsai pots during this period.
THANKS. without a top, it is about 36in wide with just the green helmet of 2in foliage at the outer edge so it will get a ton of light inside. To clarify, do I want lots of air to the roots? While waiting for advice, it is filling up a wheelbarrow and i dumped a bag of hardwood mulch to cover roots.

Top Bottom