Back budding on chamaecyparis

USDA Zone
7a
OK, back in the spring I picked up a Chamaecyparis thyoides, AKA Atlantic white cedar at my local confier nursery. Then after dragging it home I read in several places that chamaecyparis don’t back bud on old wood. This was a disappointment since this tree needs some new foliage closer in to the trunk on some branches. So I set it aside to grow some more and did a little pruning. Well tonight I was watering around the collection when I noticed something green on a small branch I had cut back several months ago. Yes those are little buds popping out on the old lichen covered wood! So has anybody had any luck getting chamaecyparis to back bud on old wood? What is the secret—I am assuming these buds are just dumb luck in my case.

3FAFFA51-3F5C-4740-B526-59124D62EA41.jpeg

0soyoung

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
8b
I had a thought about crypto --> cannot delete once one has clicked the little 'Post reply' button.
My only experience is with chamaecyparis obtusa. With it, fat chance in hell, and then it is only at the trunk-branch union/node. But you're not talking "Hinoki", nor are you talking about cryptomeria backbudding.

So,
this post = user error :oops:
My apologies.

on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Actually not Cryptomeria, it is a totally different species, Chamaecyparis thyoides, the North American native Atlantic cedar. In the same genus as Hinoki, but a distinct species.

My knowledge of C. thyoides is only "internet knowledge" they are probably reluctant to back bud, but occasionally it does happen. Watch Ryan Niel vids on Hinoki, he talks about how to get Hinoki to back bud. I imagine thyoides would be similar. "As in not reliable, but not impossible".

USDA Zone
7a
I suspect that since this was a short interior branch that I clipped off that it might have had some internal buds that popped once the other foliage was gone. I went iver the tree agin looking for other popping buds on old wood but there are none so this appears to be jsut a fluke. I’ll loko for Ruan Neil’s videos.