Back yard on a Budget

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was out watering this morning, when it occurred to me just how much our back yard has changed since I got into Bonsai and my wife got into general gardening. We moved in to this house 2016, but really didn't start any gardening until the following year. We have been slowly landscaping around the house as the budget allows, though it seems with each passing month out estimation of what we can do all by ourselves is increasing. There has been talk of terracing. Anyway, I digress, here are a couple of pics of the yard when we moved in.

Here is Janet dog hanging out with her entire world. The back yard pretty much looked like the pic all around when we moved in. Not much in the way of shade or interest. As you can see, we also have houses in sight of our back yard.

oldbackyard.JPG

Here is the "Jesus Shed" - It was loaded with pro Jesus gang graffiti.

jesusshed.JPG

I debated on scrapping it entirely, but when I started getting into bonsai I decided it would make a great work area, and being frugal, I reused most of the wood I tore out from inside to build some rickety little bonsai tables.

Here are my main display benches, on the back porch just out the kitchen window. The blue one is reused wood from the Jesus shed. I keep meaning to replace it, but hey, it works.

Backyard Main Bench.jpg

Behind the bench and up in the backyard is the garden that my wife put in. We weren't too sure about spacing and whatnot and she spent a couple years just throwing stuff in there. Basically, we are looking to make a natural privacy fence, with the idea most of those arborvitaes are going to grow and spread a bit to block a direct line of sight from the houses behind us to our back porch.

bkyrd garden.jpg

The monkey pole for the bonsai was already there, I just built a platform. We lined the garden with both rocks that we dug up while digging out the garden, and landscape brick "donated" with the caveat that we pull the bricks and load ourselves - fair enough.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was out watering this morning, when it occurred to me just how much our back yard has changed since I got into Bonsai and my wife got into general gardening. We moved in to this house 2016, but really didn't start any gardening until the following year. We have been slowly landscaping around the house as the budget allows, though it seems with each passing month out estimation of what we can do all by ourselves is increasing. There has been talk of terracing. Anyway, I digress, here are a couple of pics of the yard when we moved in.

Here is Janet dog hanging out with her entire world. The back yard pretty much looked like the pic all around when we moved in. Not much in the way of shade or interest. As you can see, we also have houses in sight of our back yard.

View attachment 314521

Here is the "Jesus Shed" - It was loaded with pro Jesus gang graffiti.

View attachment 314522

I debated on scrapping it entirely, but when I started getting into bonsai I decided it would make a great work area, and being frugal, I reused most of the wood I tore out from inside to build some rickety little bonsai tables.

Here are my main display benches, on the back porch just out the kitchen window. The blue one is reused wood from the Jesus shed. I keep meaning to replace it, but hey, it works.

View attachment 314523

Behind the bench and up in the backyard is the garden that my wife put in. We weren't too sure about spacing and whatnot and she spent a couple years just throwing stuff in there. Basically, we are looking to make a natural privacy fence, with the idea most of those arborvitaes are going to grow and spread a bit to block a direct line of sight from the houses behind us to our back porch.

View attachment 314524

The monkey pole for the bonsai was already there, I just built a platform. We lined the garden with both rocks that we dug up while digging out the garden, and landscape brick "donated" with the caveat that we pull the bricks and load ourselves - fair enough.

Excellent!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, we just decided this year to start a food garden. This has been the wife's pet project. I showed her how to germinate from seed and she did a great job taking care of the seedlings and getting them into the ground. We amended the soil with some manure and sand and some friend shad a tiller we borrowed to till it all in. We have nicknamed this garden plot "Audrey II" There are actually pallet trellises under all that mess. We are pulling three kinds of squash and cucumber daily from this beast. Hopefully we'll have some cantaloupe and tomatoes soon as well.
foodgarden1.jpg

foodgarden2.jpg

The Jesus shed became my bonsai potting shed and I have slowly been expanding the area around it for all of my bonsai projects. I keep adding weird shit to it every year and I'm actually a little satisfied with how crazy it looks.
Bonsai shed1.jpg

backshed2.jpg

I have tons of tree stuff going on this year, I've successfully propagated juniper cuttings from last year and the year before - they're finally getting big enough that I can really wired in some twists and movement. I managed to germinate and keep alive around 20 JBP seedlings - I've wired and messed with half and just left the other half to grow out.

Here is my in "in progress" / shady bench. With the July heat here, I'm about to move all the conifers out to my full sun benches and move the deciduous over onto this one.

backyard bench.jpgbackyard bench.jpg

Out future plans are to do away with the bonsai shed altogether, and convert the entire flat area at the top of the hill into food gardens. I also plan on lining out another 6 to 8 feet in front of our back garden in order to put up sun benches and some more monkey poles for the few "finished" trees I have. I also plan on building some permanent benches with built in framework for shade cloth - it really starts baking here this time of year. Eventually, I would like to dedicate the entire back of the house to our garden projects, clearing out the flat space for food production and using the hills and such for interesting walkways and plantings. Its several years out, but we don't plan on moving anytime soon and I think it will be worth it in the end.

If you got all the way through this - thanks for reading!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Y’know.. on one particular trip to Wisconsin Dells, we decided to take backroads and just sort of “sniff out” our way there.. we came upon an intersection... about (I’m assuming here) 16 miles from.... well... most anything. At this intersection was a fairly derelict barn “shed”... graffiti bombed with Verses and phrases “for Jesus”.. at first I thought, “That’s cool!..“ not necessarily what I’m into.. but Christianity DOES work for people, and knowing It’s a fundamental part of MY belief system NOT to judge other’s choice of faith, thought it was rather refreshing and decided to hop out for a picture.

My feet hit the pavement, i got dizzy, nauseous and my ears began to ring.. upon closer examination.. the graffiti was VERY violent... using “Jesus” as an inappropriate means...

Just felt “evil”... I snapped two shots and left... the glare (in the photos) was too severe to make out any of the words... which was odd, because it had JUST started raining seconds after we left, and was NOT sunny.

Whoah!

Sorry about that.. the Jesus graffiti just prompted that memory...

I’ll go sit in the corner.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, we just decided this year to start a food garden. This has been the wife's pet project. I showed her how to germinate from seed and she did a great job taking care of the seedlings and getting them into the ground. We amended the soil with some manure and sand and some friend shad a tiller we borrowed to till it all in. We have nicknamed this garden plot "Audrey II" There are actually pallet trellises under all that mess. We are pulling three kinds of squash and cucumber daily from this beast. Hopefully we'll have some cantaloupe and tomatoes soon as well.
View attachment 314527

View attachment 314526

The Jesus shed became my bonsai potting shed and I have slowly been expanding the area around it for all of my bonsai projects. I keep adding weird shit to it every year and I'm actually a little satisfied with how crazy it looks.
View attachment 314528

View attachment 314529

I have tons of tree stuff going on this year, I've successfully propagated juniper cuttings from last year and the year before - they're finally getting big enough that I can really wired in some twists and movement. I managed to germinate and keep alive around 20 JBP seedlings - I've wired and messed with half and just left the other half to grow out.

Here is my in "in progress" / shady bench. With the July heat here, I'm about to move all the conifers out to my full sun benches and move the deciduous over onto this one.

View attachment 314530View attachment 314530

Out future plans are to do away with the bonsai shed altogether, and convert the entire flat area at the top of the hill into food gardens. I also plan on lining out another 6 to 8 feet in front of our back garden in order to put up sun benches and some more monkey poles for the few "finished" trees I have. I also plan on building some permanent benches with built in framework for shade cloth - it really starts baking here this time of year. Eventually, I would like to dedicate the entire back of the house to our garden projects, clearing out the flat space for food production and using the hills and such for interesting walkways and plantings. Its several years out, but we don't plan on moving anytime soon and I think it will be worth it in the end.

If you got all the way through this - thanks for reading!
Oh, my!!! I think you’re ready for a koi pond! Lol!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Y’know.. on one particular trip to Wisconsin Dells, we decided to take backroads and just sort of “sniff out” our way there.. we came upon an intersection... about (I’m assuming here) 16 miles from.... well... most anything. At this intersection was a fairly derelict barn “shed”... graffiti bombed with Verses and phrases “for Jesus”.. at first I thought, “That’s cool!..“ not necessarily what I’m into.. but Christianity DOES work for people, and knowing It’s a fundamental part of MY belief system NOT to judge other’s choice of faith, thought it was rather refreshing and decided to hop out for a picture.

My feet hit the pavement, i got dizzy, nauseous and my ears began to ring.. upon closer examination.. the graffiti was VERY violent... using “Jesus” as an inappropriate means...

Just felt “evil”... I snapped two shots and left... the glare (in the photos) was too severe to make out any of the words... which was odd, because it had JUST started raining seconds after we left, and was NOT sunny.

Whoah!

Sorry about that.. the Jesus graffiti just prompted that memory...

I’ll go sit in the corner.

Yep, people take it a bit far. This was just innocuous and ugly though haha. "The Jesus Club" "Jesus is Cool" "Kidz for Jesus" and stuff like that. Smiley faces and hearts too - so I'd say still young enough to not understand much about hate.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yep, people take it a bit far. This was just innocuous and ugly though haha. "The Jesus Club" "Jesus is Cool" "Kidz for Jesus" and stuff like that. Smiley faces and hearts too - so I'd say still young enough to not understand much about hate.

That’s positive graffiti.. i can dig that...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spent the weekend building two more benches and getting rid of all the pallets and expanding my footprint by 4 feet all around. Also had an out of control morning glory vine to deal with. Really happy with the results. The majority of my trees are off the ground now and there is space between them all.

Mid clean out:
IMG_20200730_081425.jpg

With additional space and new benches:

IMG_20200801_152309.jpg

IMG_20200801_152317.jpg

IMG_20200801_152342.jpg

Honestly it was more work than I really wanted to do this weekend but it's nice to organize it a bit!

Top Bottom