Backdrop ideas requested for OKC bonsai show

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We desperately need to improve the OKC bonsai show display. It has always been held in an old garden center facility with sterile white painted cement block walls.

Curious as to how other clubs create backdrops or if they rent them? Of course the older members in our club are resistant to any change from the way things have been done for the last 20 years.

Here are some pictures of the current set up. Thinking of having black curtains on a PVC frame behind tables and/or Japanese style folding paper screens behind some of the larger trees in each corner of the room. Also, bringing some Japanese scrolls from my office to hang on the walls.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 59

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't go with black. Creme back drops complement most trees. If you put back drops between two tables, each backdrop gets to do double duty.

The skirts on the tables ought to go all the way to the ground. Use black skirting, but a colored felt for the table top itself.

Encourage everyone to use a stand. And an accent plant.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lead with practicality... finish with aesthetics.

For a show you have to make sure it is practical. Frames with a simple light screen are best - and by "light" I mean light fabric. It can be light or dark, but it seems (based on my personal experience) that completely black or completely white are bad choices. If you want to go light, an off-white is a good choice. If you want to go dark, consider a dark grey. Stay away from anything green (for obvious reasons) but a flat blue or flat yellow would complement without being garish.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The cloth is muslin, I think.

The frames are wood, and the muslin is stretched, so there are no wrinkles. Boon stores these in his garage, and we are very careful with them as we load them into the truck and set them up, and take them down each year.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The frames are made of 1x2 wood, that's been stained and polyurethanes. ( maybe just polyurethaned - don't know for sure. )

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't really like pipe and drape (which you can rent from event decorator companies) as it isn't a flat surface behind. Something solid and light colored is the ticket I think. I think if I were making them, I'd look at building frames like the BIB ones, those look very nice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I gotta reiterate double duty.....
That's good...$

Set up in 3-4 individual rows with a main short row as you walk in.
I think your show will flow better with a few trees hidden...
Looks like it's growing to be quite good!

I don't know if you are fully responsible for this....but I fully appreciate you taking time and energy to improve your show!

That....is making American Bonsai better!

Cheers!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A few years ago, the Atlanta Bonsai Society opted to build frames of wood and pvc pipe to hang cloth drapes sewn to slide on and off the pipe. Though far from perfect, it's a distinct improvement from no back drop or the 4' by 8' sheets of styrafoam we'd prop up behind the trees....shudder!! Again, not perfect, but relatively inexpensive, easy to build, and easy to put together, take apart, and store.
img_1297-jpg.98277

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I'm a diy guy and with a small budget, triangle, drill, saw, screws and some helping hands you could build a portable set up that could be stored for years.

From my photography experience material is either quality or not. Long term it can fade, discolor, breakdown or quality last a long time. Both take effort to maintain. A small hem and steam machine and you could use Velcro to attach fabric and frames. Would benefit storage.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Chad,

are you still monitoring this thread (I'm hoping you are).

Please check your inbox. Sent you a PM.

Noah

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 7.27.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 7.27.47 PM.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom