Backpack for collecting

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
what do the pros use to haul them future masterpieces down canyons and alpine peaks? do you guys custom make your own or is there a game or hunting back pack you guys recommend?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Others might do it differently, but I've been collecting with some of the old timers like Dan Robinson, Larry Jackel and Peter Wilson - They don't use back packs, nor any sort of ATVs. I've seen Peter recently use a metal-framed push cart (seen in my recent yamadori thread), but other than that they simply collect within hand carrying distance of the roads, where they park their pickups. The root balls are securely wrapped in black plastic trash bag material held together tightly with electrical tape (known as a "papoose wrap"), and then they are hoofed down to the truck. (Going uphill to the truck is seldom attempted, for obvious reasons. :) ) If a tree is too heavy for one person - rare with these strongmen - they might team up on it.

Dan tells the story (re-told in the book) of a magical moment he had 50 years ago in Korea, watching an old collector coming back from the mountains with a huge pine strapped to a wooden pack frame of a sort that the rural folks there used to collect fire wood. Probably any sort of device like that would suffice, with the papoose wrap held on with a diamond hitch.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There is an old geologist online somewhere that recommends framed backpack for walking out of nowhere with heavy loads,transfers weight to the hips rather than a saggy bagpack loading the shoulders.

They don't sell them over here.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Try an Army supply store. I picked a used one up a few years back for a good price.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As grouper stated ... ones arms are pretty good tools (I've personally seen him carrying some rather hefty awkward looking trees) ..... one of the benefits is often that you can protect the tree much easier when carrying it by hand. Also when collecting you don't really want to be burdened by large packs....

tho i do have to admit it would be nice somedays to have a pack when you need to bring several trees down off the mountain and aren't looking forward to the long trips :)

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last edited:

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've looked for a quality frame pack for a while, hard to find best I could locate are hunting frame backpacks. (for carrying game out) I tried a few out.

I'm not a pro but I never did purchase one as I found out strapping a over sized large tree to a back is challenging walking, especially over steep uneven terrain. (I'm talking mountains) Like Grouper and others I carry them out in my arms or over the shoulder. I still do the odd stumble but so much easier to avoid a major fall with it in your hands.

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hand carry it is then :) trekking 15kms down a mountain whike carrying a tree on your shoulder is quite the work out. Ive done it a few times now and i was hoping you guys had an alternative. I was thinking maybe something like this but unless someone on here endorses it and tell me it works i guess ill just have to use me shoulder :)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Accessories/Hunting-Bags-Packs|/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104392080/Badlands-OX-Pack-Frame/715980.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-hunting-accessories-hunting-bags-packs%2F_%2FN-1100127%2FNo-48%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104392080

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hand carry it is then :) trekking 15kms down a mountain whike carrying a tree on your shoulder is quite the work out. Ive done it a few times now and i was hoping you guys had an alternative. I was thinking maybe something like this but unless someone on here endorses it and tell me it works i guess ill just have to use me shoulder :)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Accessories/Hunting-Bags-Packs|/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104392080/Badlands-OX-Pack-Frame/715980.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-hunting-accessories-hunting-bags-packs%2F_%2FN-1100127%2FNo-48%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104392080

Carrying a tree that far by hand would be silly, that frame looks like a good idea. If you're moving vertically having your hands free to pull yourself along or brake yourself on the way down would be very useful.

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I keep thinking an ALICE pack would be perfect. A compression sack attached to a frame. Top flap can be pushed to the back but the compression straps keep the load nice and snug, might reduce root damage and dangerous load shifting while on uneven terrain.

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
awesome idea! i think im gonna put an order in ...cost less than 60 bucks so its worth the try. ill order the frame and ill bolt on a piece of carbon fibre board as a backing it might just work. :) thanks randy http://www.greatadventure.ca/00cart/CandyPress/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=738

I keep thinking an ALICE pack would be perfect. A compression sack attached to a frame. Top flap can be pushed to the back but the compression straps keep the load nice and snug, might reduce root damage and dangerous load shifting while on uneven terrain.

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hmm, you should try hitting any local Military Surplus stores, might save you a bundle. They nearly always have them but ordering online does provide some assurance of product line. Those packs last nearly forever and if anything does wear down or breaks there are replacement parts galore online. Cardboard wrapped in duct tape could be a much cheaper and sufficient replacement for the carbon fiber board. At least that is what I used. Good luck

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
http://www.rei.com/product/811551/kelty-yukon-48-external-frame-pack
Pretty sure this is the one I got. It's expensive, but with a few well placed bungie cords, you can carry quite a bit with it. I certainly prefer that over carrying plants out by hand. It will also carry all your tools or you can strap them to the sides.
After carrying a large oak out of a ravine by hand I vowed next time I went I would get a backpack and I haven't regretted that decision.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha ha yes a 15km hike with a big tree in your arm would be kind of silly.
The Alice is a pack thats been on my radar. I might also try one, the surplus store is a good idea. But 53.00 bucks on that linked site is pretty damn cheap.
The problem I found with a tree on the packs I tried is, in rough terrain I could never get them to stop shifting around throwing me off balance at awkward times. Randy do you think the Alice minimizes that?

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
After many years of collecting, I have settled on a game pack that I have modified. I attached a day pack to the back for my hand tools and saws all On either side is wired a section of pfc pipe for my loopers, small pick ax, and short crow bar. The nice thing about the game pack is that it has a shelf at the bottom for the tree to sit on. If the tree is secured properly, it should not shift. You can distribute the weight evenly over your shoulders and hips, and it is much easier than trying to carry a tree out along with your tools. I also have a 6 foot aluminum bar that makes a great "walking stick."

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Monza,

The ALICE Frame is pretty versatile. The ALICE Pack that one attaches to the frame is like a compression sack because two straps come down across the entire bag as it is tightened. If you really have to bring along two bungie cords that can cross the bag horizontally, attached to the frame itself. Bob is on the right track with the PVC holsters as I would call them, or if you are really crafty and have the time you could construct some substantial Velcro tool holders onto your frame and side.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Top Bottom