Backwards Mugo 3

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is my discount Mugo from today

I tried to do the @Vance Wood way. I went through and gently combed out some roots, I tried to barely touch them/ I did not really do much root pruning. I know you can but I decided not to this time around. I found my front I like and only took off 1 major branch. I figured that should be it for this round and I will let it sit till next summer where I can do more heavy prunning if the tree has responded well, if not I will let it sit for 2 summers. I am going to add my ideas of where I want it to go shortly.

Any thoughts on it?

Attachments

• m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 76
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 56
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 55
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 56
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 62
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 61
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 74

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is one idea of what I may want to do, this is just a first edit and will be probably 5+ years out. The base currently is about 3 inches so I may keep more lower and let it run for a few years as well to thicken that up as well.

Attachments

• m1 idea.jpg
    m1 idea.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 76

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had to unlike that last one!

Roots look good, but you can definitely make a better tree than that photo. I understand we all ain't the best drawers, but that's hideous!🤣

Nah for real ....if you get buds on that lowest green area in the drawing, you can also build it back up from just there.

Don't think you'll have to, but the drawing is one of a weak future vision goggles prescription. No worries, the alive and still in a position to provide options for you state is the only one that matters!

Keep an eye out for roots out the bottom, if you get em, try to open up the top a bit more before fall.

Fatty trunk. Definitely worth good thought and patience.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ya I looked at it this morning and do not like it at all haha. It will take many iterations to get where I want with it haha. Where would you go with the tree in the future? What would you cut this fall if it’s got good roots?

It’ll be a funny one in a year or two as I progress to go back and see.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Felt the move to open up the center a bit more for light and air. Now it sits for a year and hopefully after that I can do some more pruning. Liking where the tree is at and going

Attachments

• 621DAE1A-F200-4BE8-BE73-4B751E437EB6.jpeg
    621DAE1A-F200-4BE8-BE73-4B751E437EB6.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom