Backyard bonsai collecting

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my backyard I have several hawthorns and a couple blackhaw viburnums that are candidates for bonsai. Now on websites like Bonsai South and some others they describe collecting natives in a one step process, lopping off the top, cutting the main roots, and potting the plant up in a box or tub to wait for the recovery. Since these trees are safely in my yard I can take the time to lop the top this spring and leave the plant in the ground for the recovery while it back buds and pops leaves. Then the following year I can cut the roots and move it to a container. My question is which would be the better approach? I see the second method as being similar to growing trees in nursery beds and pruning them regularly to incourage taper, trunk thickening, and ramification. What advantages does the one step approach have other than getting the process going faster, assuming you are happy with girth?

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you search the site, you will find quite a few examples of people collecting hawthorns. It looks like they can handle a decent amount of abuse in one season. I haven't collected any myself though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my backyard I have several hawthorns and a couple blackhaw viburnums that are candidates for bonsai. Now on websites like Bonsai South and some others they describe collecting natives in a one step process, lopping off the top, cutting the main roots, and potting the plant up in a box or tub to wait for the recovery. Since these trees are safely in my yard I can take the time to lop the top this spring and leave the plant in the ground for the recovery while it back buds and pops leaves. Then the following year I can cut the roots and move it to a container. My question is which would be the better approach? I see the second method as being similar to growing trees in nursery beds and pruning them regularly to incourage taper, trunk thickening, and ramification. What advantages does the one step approach have other than getting the process going faster, assuming you are happy with girth?
Nope, best to take them all at once. Leaving them in the ground after chopping the trunk, even if they're in your yard, really buys you nothing as far as development goes. Better to containerize them ASAP, as the most work you will have initially is developing a more compact root mass. Why put that off?

Top Bottom