Backyard Bougie

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No don't worry it's not me dancing...here's a bougie that my landlord let me dig from the backyard, it's a big'n.

P1013035.JPG

Had this in a 10 gallon nursery pot for a few years and just repotted/shoehorned into a completely mismatched pot. There was a lot of rot where deadwood was touching the soil so I scraped out as much as I could to leave a pretty cool hollow.

P1015263.JPG P1015265.JPG
P1015269.JPG P1015270.JPG
P1015267.JPG
Not sure what happened with the last pic.:confused:

Will see how it settles in over the summer and then if all is well get the carving bits out and make it rain bougie shavings.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
You said it. The pot don't fit. I have a giant purple colander I can trade with you.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
nice potential. stabilize the rot while you decide on the design you want and grow the branches you need.

best wishes, sam

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
how is that done?
remove all rot down to solid wood. let thoroughly dry. if circumstances allow (without harming the tree), treat wood with torch to burn off fibers and harden wood. wire brush. apply wood stain of your choice or leave as is. when dry, apply wood hardener/preservative. teak or tung oil, minwax wood hardener or similar products. I currently use diluted (with water) wood glue. brush on or apply to deep cracks/pockets with eye dropper. whitish glue dries clear. hardens wood nicely. reapply periodically.

good luck, sam

Top Bottom