Backyard chicken people?

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got my first egg from our ladies. Loving the fresh eggs and watching them and my bonsai grow.

Any other nutters have chickens?

Attachments

• 3B115281-C2B5-409D-9ED3-F5540E137A19.jpeg
    3B115281-C2B5-409D-9ED3-F5540E137A19.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 3

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not anymore but I am an old time chicken farmer. We used to raise them by the thousands. As a matter of fact, my uncle used to raise chicken for Tyson.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not anymore but I am an old time chicken farmer. We used to raise them by the thousands. As a matter of fact, my uncle used to raise chicken for Tyson.
Wow that is insane... you were an actual chicken farmer, we have 6 haha. But hey fresh eggs is fresh eggs.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cleaning chicken coop is not something people enjoy.
I am lucky in only having 6 and I am trying the deep litter method which is going very well. Minimal to no smell and only have to clean it out every 4-6 months.

I also built the coop to have a poop board under the roost so 90% of their poop is caught on the board so I just remove the board and scrape it off and then back in and clean!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am lucky in only having 6 and I am trying the deep litter method which is going very well. Minimal to no smell and only have to clean it out every 4-6 months.

I also built the coop to have a poop board under the roost so 90% of their poop is caught on the board so I just remove the board and scrape it off and then back in and clean!
Cleaning for 6 is easy. My uncle used to raise 10,000 per batch. Each batch took 7-8 weeks and he had to deliver every week so usually he had about 80,000 at his farm, not counting the egg laying hens.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got my first egg from our ladies. Loving the fresh eggs and watching them and my bonsai grow.

Any other nutters have chickens?
Is that green or it it just my screen?
Chickens are nice as long as there is a fence between me and them. When I was a very small child I got on the wrong side of a mother hen who thought I was after her chicky chicks and went full “summoning the inner dino” mode on innocent me that was just idly standing by. Ever since then I’d rather keep my distance!

Do like good fresh eggs.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes it is a green blue egg! Yikes I had a bad experience with a rooster as a kid… but the chicken noodle soup was good ;)

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it is a green blue egg! Yikes I had a bad experience with a rooster as a kid… but the chicken noodle soup was good ;)
Roosters are cool, I have no problem with those guys. But those beady eyed plump ladies…keep awaaaaay 😂😂😂😂

My mothers neighbor recently got chickens. Yet another good reason not to go visiting out that way 😂

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Gumbo is good too! My only problem is that right now the temperature is too hot for gumbo. If I cook gumbo, I know I'll eat it then I'll sweat like a horse for 2 hours afterward.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
No, but he really hated the killing and plucking. They didn't have them just for eggs.
The plucking bothered me some but now we can have the automatic plucker that can pluck a 99% of feather on a chicken in 30-40 seconds. The little bit of clean up is easy.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The plucking bothered me some but now we can have the automatic plucker that can pluck a 99% of feather on a chicken in 30-40 seconds. The little bit of clean up is easy.
Well, this was when he was a kid, so let's just say it's been awhile.............

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well, this was when he was a kid, so let's just say it's been awhile.............
Same here, the last batch of chicken I raised for money myself was 48 years ago. A whole lot of chicken have crossed the road since.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cleaning for 6 is easy. My uncle used to raise 10,000 per batch. Each batch took 7-8 weeks and he had to deliver every week so usually he had about 80,000 at his farm, not counting the egg laying hens.
Backyard chickens vs. commercial chicken operations is comparable to traditional farming methods vs. large scale or corporate farming. With backyard chickens/traditional farming you get to enjoy, appreciate, have a relationship with each bird/plant. I saw a fun postcard once that said "If you're not happy now, getting married won't make you happy. Happiness comes from chickens, not relationships."
I loved my backyard chickens when I had them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Backyard chickens vs. commercial chicken operations is comparable to traditional farming methods vs. large scale or corporate farming. With backyard chickens/traditional farming you get to enjoy, appreciate, have a relationship with each bird/plant. I saw a fun postcard once that said "If you're not happy now, getting married won't make you happy. Happiness comes from chickens, not relationships."
I loved my backyard chickens when I had them.
That's all good but I can't kill and eat things that I have named! Once named any critter in my house will live out its natural life.
Well that very much holds true except for Humongo the 10 ft gator in my pond. 12 years ago it was either we ate it or it ate us. Humongo was good eatin'. We made gator bites, gator piquant, and gator savory cheese cake out of it.

Last edited:

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I need to head down your way. You sound like you have the gift of cooking and just so happens I have the gift of eating hahah

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's all good but I can't kill and eat things that I have named! Once named any critter in my house will live out its natural life.
Well that very much holds true except for Humongo the 10 ft gator in my pond. 12 years ago it was either we ate it or it ate us. Humongo was good eatin'. We made gator bites, gator piquant, and gator savory cheese cake out of it.
I have always wondered. What does gator taste like?

Top Bottom