Backyard development

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
2021.09_backyard.jpg
I finally have a bench set up. I have plans to plant Trident Maples, JBP and a couple other trees in development where the 5-gallon pots are. The stock I have is small so I might need to use 1-gallon containers to start.

I told the wife the garden and bench was going to be bordered by bonsai shrubs - hopefully I can make that border several rows deep though, haha!

2021.09_bench.jpg

Close up of benches. I have a lot of repotting to do March 2022.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Great start to the bonsai garden. I can also see more space being taken up with extra trees.
Just be aware that trees on the lower benches will tend to grow long and one sided due to the shade from bench and trees above. You will need to select species carefully and I'd be rotating the trees regularly to get better all round growth.

I have plans to plant Trident Maples, JBP and a couple other trees in development where the 5-gallon pots are. The stock I have is small so I might need to use 1-gallon containers to start.

Small trees can go straight into the ground if that's your intention provided you can control the weeds that could swamp small plants. It is only in containers where there can be issues going too big too quick so if the plan is to grow in the large pots I agree with transfer to intermediate pots first.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great start to the bonsai garden. I can also see more space being taken up with extra trees.
Just be aware that trees on the lower benches will tend to grow long and one sided due to the shade from bench and trees above. You will need to select species carefully and I'd be rotating the trees regularly to get better all round growth.

Small trees can go straight into the ground if that's your intention provided you can control the weeds that could swamp small plants. It is only in containers where there can be issues going too big too quick so if the plan is to grow in the large pots I agree with transfer to intermediate pots first.
Thank you for the advice. I tried to put trees like j. Maple and some others that were not used to 8-10 hours of light, or don't want that much direct light, on the lower tier. I have a nice Sekka Hinoki down there that definitely deserves a higher tier soon.
Also, thanks for clarifying the planting info. I would like to go straight into the ground with my saplings but I was worried that the existing soil was not good enough and the saplings too small. Perhaps I can ammend with topsoil? The existing soil is a clayey silt.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would like to go straight into the ground with my saplings but I was worried that the existing soil was not good enough and the saplings too small. Perhaps I can ammend with topsoil? The existing soil is a clayey silt.
I would just spend some time now to improve the existing soil and control weeds in preparation for spring planting.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm setting up for a vegetable garden surrounded by bonsai. I put cardboard boxes on the ground, dumped my friends old garden scraps and grass cuttings, then topped it with half a yard of topsoil.
I couldn't help myself so i used some of the topsoil and buried a winged Elm and a J. Maple in the right side to start my border. I over dug the holes quite a bit and fertilized.
I also have a 1" diameter trident maple and a JBP sapling from @Pitoon buried in boxes in the far side. I used a pine bark mix from tractor supply in the boxes. I found out this pine bark mix is pretty crappy as I couldn't even get beans to live when I first tried this summer. However, I've amended the planters and I keep adding organic fertilizer and compost to the boxes.20210930_180259_compress10.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I wish I had a flat open space like that on my property......it would be loaded with trees!
Lol, our yard is almost 2 acres, and being in IL, flat as can be. If I suggested putting trees out there that he had to mow/weed eat around it would not go over well....

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm setting up for a vegetable garden surrounded by bonsai. I put cardboard boxes on the ground, dumped my friends old garden scraps and grass cuttings, then topped it with half a yard of topsoil.
I couldn't help myself so i used some of the topsoil and buried a winged Elm and a J. Maple in the right side to start my border. I over dug the holes quite a bit and fertilized.
I also have a 1" diameter trident maple and a JBP sapling from @Pitoon buried in boxes in the far side. I used a pine bark mix from tractor supply in the boxes. I found out this pine bark mix is pretty crappy as I couldn't even get beans to live when I first tried this summer. However, I've amended the planters and I keep adding organic fertilizer and compost to the boxes.View attachment 400906
Great background, but us city slickers know there could be 8 deer hidden in that picture, and they're hungry.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Great background, but us city slickers know there could be 8 deer hidden in that picture, and they're hungry.
I have more of a problem with squirrels, especially this time of year when they start digging in my pots and hiding acorns.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good START. Now buy several pallets Miracle Grow Garden soil and about 2 yards pumice and build until at least 2' deep for all things to be planted in future☺️.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Haha, I've seen em along the woodline, but they haven't been brave enough to mess with my stuff yet.
Deer jerky would be great, haha.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good START. Now buy several pallets Miracle Grow Garden soil and about 2 yards pumice and build until at least 2' deep for all things to be planted in future☺️.
Thank you! I like that idea. I just did a search to see if anywhere near me has pumice. Build a Soil has a 1000 lbs tote for $190, but shipping is another $369 😬.
Maybe large perlite and topsoil could do the job?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can buy a load of half composted wood chips from a local landscape supply. Turn it in if you can, or add the same volume of top soil and mix them together.

Top Bottom