Bad practice

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The trouble with jabbing cuttings into tree pots is that they grow. Removing them now will kill them. I will have to separate them at repotting time.
251AFAA2-F6CE-4A5D-8F14-CD4EACDFB434.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree it's not the best practice to start cuttings but not so sure about your assertion that removing now will kill these. All commercial propagators repot rooted cuttings whenever they are ready at all times of the year.
You will need to check these have roots. Many cuttings will put out new shoots using energy from the stem. They don't always have roots below at that stage.
If you can confirm these do have roots just cut around them and lift them out and transplant. Losing a few roots won't usually worry a new cutting.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I agree it's not the best practice to start cuttings but not so sure about your assertion that removing now will kill these. All commercial propagators repot rooted cuttings whenever they are ready at all times of the year.
You will need to check these have roots. Many cuttings will put out new shoots using energy from the stem. They don't always have roots below at that stage.
If you can confirm these do have roots just cut around them and lift them out and transplant. Losing a few roots won't usually worry a new cutting.
All true except that I don't have much experience with this species. I've killed a couple cuttings pulling them out at the wrong time and killed the tender roots. The cuttings had no energy left to generate more roots. Right now I don't know "whenever they are ready".

These beautiful big cuttings are in my raised vegetable beds. I am not touching them until next year when I am ready to plant spring vegetables.
34C43E09-4354-4D3C-AC17-FF7BAC389B32.jpeg
D4283E87-5B9E-4547-8600-453531D0C43A.jpeg
0692DA71-2F89-4294-8429-1F121476DC3C.jpeg
BE61AA5B-C549-4223-841C-3ED0A9F3A008.jpeg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The trouble with jabbing cuttings into tree pots is that they grow. Removing them now will kill them. I will have to separate them at repotting time.
View attachment 447294
Unless you were planning to show the main tree in the pot this year and now cannot because removal of the cuttings might kill them, I don’t really see a problem here. Repot in the spring and use a chopstick to separate any tangled roots around the cuttings.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Unless you were planning to show the main tree in the pot this year and now cannot because removal of the cuttings might kill them, I don’t really see a problem here. Repot in the spring and use a chopstick to separate any tangled roots around the cuttings.
Precisely what I said. Bad practice means I put a constraint on my self and have to wait. In this case the pot is a big BC recently collected with now tender roots as well. Jabbing more cuttings into it means I will have to wait until the roots from the BC and the roots on the cuttings are strong enough for removal. Saving 2 minutes in getting a small pot for the cuttings proved not worth it.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Precisely what I said. Bad practice means I put a constraint on my self and have to wait. In this case the pot is a big BC recently collected with now tender roots as well. Jabbing more cuttings into it means I will have to wait until the roots from the BC and the roots on the cuttings are strong enough for removal. Saving 2 minutes in getting a small pot for the cuttings proved not worth it.
Ah, so you did want to show the tree… Got it.

Top Bottom