Bad weather question.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
We all know how accurate the weather man is. For the most part I could forcast what the weather will be like by peeing off my back porch.
But I see the man is calling for a hurrican. At the least 5 days of heavy rain and strong winds.

Is there anything you do to prep for this? I used to bring all my trees in to my sun porch but I moved and now I have a shed outside and a basement.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll move as much as I can inside but the rest that I cannot will definitely be put on ground (if in a stand/shelf) and just pray for the best. Tall and top heavy ones might even be left lying down if possible.

If you know the direction the wind will be coming from, it will help you plan as well.

There is strength in numbers so clustering them might help. If you have a really good way to cover them with a tarp (secured really well) that might help...otherwise, you might end up with bald trees after.

Good luck!!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not a hurricane. It's a tropical storm--max winds at the center 40 mph. It's not going to be close to landfall. It will remain far out at sea from what I've seen.

If your're concerned about wind, put your trees on the ground...

I'm not doing anything special, though.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks poink88 for the suggestions!

Rockm thanks for the weather update and a locals assurance!

I will move what I can under my bench and if we do get high winds in the future I will do the same and then wrap my bench with a tarp.

Berobinson88 I was more concerned with my plants being kept inside with out light in a very dry environment for 5 days and the fact that some of my trees in wood boxes probably weigh 200 pounds and aren't easy to move. But thanks for your smartass 2 cents.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I woulnd't bother with much of any kind of shelter. I mean it's three days of on and off rain...

Last edited:

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Berobinson8[2] I was more concerned with my plants being kept inside with out light in a very dry environment for 5 days and the fact that some of my trees in wood boxes probably weigh 200 pounds and aren't easy to move. But thanks for your smartass 2 cents.

that's not what you said. you said you were concerned about a hurricane. you never mentioned having issues moving 200 pound trees. i think you hastily posed your question assuming your plight was well-known. i'll have my 2 cents back. and i'll do so without name-calling.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWI, MOST of my trees weigh in at over 50 lbs, some are 150-200 (in bonsai pots, not training pots). I've left those out in TWO hurricanes over the years, Isabel and the last one (can't remember her name at the moment). We had sustained 70 Mph wind with Isabel and 65 with the other. Five to nine inches of rain with each storm. The trees were left on the ground behind a wind break in the back yard. No problems...My house is not in a low lying area, so flooding wasn't a concern.

FWIW, I don't want my family to be tripping over trees in a hurricane in the basement trying to get to shelter if need be.

Also, this oncoming "storm" is NOT a threat of any sort, even to the states that are in its general vicinity.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...torm-alberto-heads-east-to-stay-offshore?lite

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Once again thank you rockm. One day I might have 150-200 pound tree in a pot. The 4 I have now will probably be about 100 pounds I'm sure. I guess if we do get a hurrican sometime this year I won't worry so much now. Move my small trees and let the beasts fend for themselves.

Berobinson88 I never name called. Only said you gave a smart ass answer. Obviously the other two people who commented left helpful comments. Assuming does make an ass out of me. For that I appoligize. I assumed most people on the site give helpful answers lol for the most part (rockm I want to know about the Christmas tree balls) and that maybe some people have trees other than something shohin size. If I were new to this site and the only answer I got was the answer that you left I doubt I'd ask another question. This site is full of new people that are just learning and figuring things out and perhaps the questions asked might seem stupid to you. But maybe try to be helpful and encourage someone who might be new and doesn't know better and giving them real advise instead of belittling them. That's just my two cents. If you don't want it leave it.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Present storm (or lack thereof) aside, I don't think using a tarp to cover bonsai would be a good idea in a hurricane. You would basically be making a big sail, that would catch the wind and possibly haul off whatever it was tied to along with a few trees once things really picked up. Assuming it was tied to something very sturdy, it then might disintegrate and spend the rest of the storm flapping around smashing all your finely ramified branches.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Present storm (or lack thereof) aside, I don't think using a tarp to cover bonsai would be a good idea in a hurricane. You would basically be making a big sail, that would catch the wind and possibly haul off whatever it was tied to along with a few trees once things really picked up. Assuming it was tied to something very sturdy, it then might disintegrate and spend the rest of the storm flapping around smashing all your finely ramified branches.

I was just about to reply with my tarp covering experience during a hurricane, which is exactly what you wrote! In brief, tarps catch a lot of wind and will do more damage than good.

ed

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I would move everything inside or to a sheltered area. Given notice of such storms you may want to keep a friend in mind that would be willing to help you move your bigger trees inside or to a sheltered area. Basement might not be a good spot because of flooding if you live in that type of area or are expecting that much rain.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is all great advise from people who have delt with this.
We have only had water in our basement during a hurrican when the electric has gone out lol. Luck for me I have no big trees in my yard. But the neighboring houses have a huge pine and hickory on one side oak hickory and elm on the other side. If they fall I'm not going to worry to much about my bonsai since my bench runs along my bedroom window.
Brings me to another subject. My bench won't move. I tend to over do things when I build them. I have 3 inch PVC pipe as legs every 4 feet along the length which is 16 feet long and 15 inches from the front to back of each post. Then 4, 2x12s 8 feet long as the top of my bench. I used toilet flanges to connect the 2x12s to the posts. Each post was driven 5 feet in the ground and filled with concrete. I'll put pictures of it up some time. Said I over due it lol. Plus I'm a plumber so material is free. And I don't have to worry about the posts rotting.

Top Bottom