Badatusernames Arakawa project

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@MACH5 had encouraged me to grow arakawa on a call we had since there aren’t enough out there. I agreed, so I’ve started six (one case as a twin trunk from @William N. Valavanis which was appreciated!) so now all but the twin trunk are on washers.

I guess check back in a couple years to see how it went and what the next step is

eVcBQTk.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So one twin trunk and 5 literature trees.

haha, I feel like I almost HAVE to try to make a literati now

and if they don’t turn out well, into the ground they go for future air layering. I can’t lose!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
haha, I feel like I almost HAVE to try to make a literati now

and if they don’t turn out well, into the ground they go for future air layering. I can’t lose!
if you have the possibility to put them in the ground they will develop way quicker and thicken up faster maybe you can screw three on a board and use the ebihara technique while growing them in the ground and compare the difference .
Ive been ground growing some trees from seedling in the ground and i must say some of the results i get are amazing would have taken 10 years more if i done them in pots or pondbaskets...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
if you have the possibility to put them in the ground they will develop way quicker and thicken up faster maybe you can screw three on a board and use the ebihara technique while growing them in the ground and compare the difference .
Ive been ground growing some trees from seedling in the ground and i must say some of the results i get are amazing would have taken 10 years more if i done them in pots or pondbaskets...

yeah my impression is that for JM in particular ground growing isn’t great unless you’re air layering off of it. I’m also under the impression that pot growing creates better root systems and nebari in the long run, as well as promoting the aging process.

I will say that as arakawas, I forgot that they would have been air layered to begin with, and their roots were actually pretty great (I mean, they came from Bill V) so I kinda screwed up there I think. I may have set myself back by putting them on washers.

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bet if you put one of the 6 in the ground that one will have the biggest trunk in two years time.
Only way to prove me wrong is to plant one in the ground and show me 🤣

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
one case as a twin trunk from @William N. Valavanis which was appreciated
I also received a double trunk Arakawa from Mr. Valavanis and, upon repotting, discovered it was actually 2 separate Arakawa. Thanks Mr. Valavanis for the extra tree. Loved the other trees I received from him as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Outdoor shots, finally! They’ve been outside the whole time but it’s actually daytime this time.

I may have done this part wrong: I picked a leader, which maybe I shouldn’t have done til it fully hardened off

Removed wire where it was biting

Saw roots at the edge of the smaller pond baskets, put them in larger pond baskets and overfertilized the soil on the outside of the inner pond basket - Zuma from bonsai west taught me this as a method of pumping trees. Been a few days and nothing is burning, seems like a great idea for rapid growth of new material.

Probably the last update for awhile, gotta let ‘em grow

Some koto hime going as well

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
May have been better to leave for a year before the larger baskets…. Not sure on that one

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Despite being a bit handsy with them earlier this year, these are all doing well.

I also got a couple from Mr Maple recently, with a bit more thickness. Definitely grafted. I feel as though in a few years I may be able to take some air layers off, however. I forget which style of propagation makes things that are close to, but not quite, arakawa (maybe seed growing?), so I may be a bit off base. I think at this point I'm hoping to grow them to the point I can air layer them to make more.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Air layers and cuttings will give you the same cultivar but seedlings will have new genetics introduced and they can’t be counted on to carry the exact same traits as the parent plant.

Top Bottom