Bald Cypress - 5 years after collection

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends, I see many of you are participating in the 5 year native tree challenge. I thought I would share this bald cypress with you. It was collected in the summer of 2015. I did very little but prune branches to create ramification and little bit of carving at the apex until the winter of 2019. At that time the tree got its first real styling. Branches were wired and a hollow was created where some die back had occurred. This weekend it got its second round of wiring. All the branches were wired and shaped.

A little different styling that many of my BC. IMO BC are pretty amazing trees that grow in a variety of forms. Trees in the hill country of Texas are vastly different than those in LA...Pond Cypress from southern Fla don't look anything like the Pond Cypress found in Carolina Bays. This variety leaves plenty of room for styling in a number of different directions.

In keeping with the intent of the contest, although I am not participating, the container is by Brett Thomas. It was purchased from him at one of the Winter Silhouette Shows in NC. I use black lava to represent the black/dark water in which many cypress call home.

Although I didn't actually measure, I suspect this tree is about 32-34".

IMG_5323.JPG
IMG_5322.JPGIMG_5320.JPGIMG_5319.JPG

This photo is from Feb. 2020...branches wired for the first time and hollowing of the trunk. It was repotted in March 2020.
IMG_4152.JPG

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful work, and great progress for 5 years! BC are truly amazing trees, so many awesome qualities to them.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A little different styling that many of my BC. IMO BC are pretty amazing trees that grow in a variety of forms. Trees in the hill country of Texas are vastly different than those in LA...Pond Cypress from southern Fla don't look anything like the Pond Cypress found in Carolina Bays. This variety leaves plenty of room for styling in a number of different directions.
What's the inspiration for this one's styling?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a monster BC that I've been trying to look around online for diff styling tips and your's definitely inspired me, maybe I'll hollow the trunk to because yours look so good. Anyone know if it's ok to hollow and wire during winter dormancy? Thanks.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
What's the inspiration for this one's styling?
I wouldn’t say it was an individual tree...but more of a composite. I really like the absolute ancient feel of many of the BC I see pictured from some of the lakes in central Fla. hollowed old trunks primarily. I’m also moved by a few of the trees I see along the edge of an oxbow lake near me... very tall trees with drooping limbs nearly from the base to apex.

Top Bottom