Bald Cypress Air Layer Size?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My neighbor has a huge, healthy bald cypress in her backyard that's scheduled for removal in about a year. She told me to knock myself out if I wanted to grab an air layer. My goal is to get one or two on there ASAP with the plan to collect them within three to six months. How big can I go in terms of diameter? I'm confident I can get one to strike from a one-inch branch, maybe a two-incher, but how about something even thicker? I'm not averse to trying different sizes just to see what works, but can anyone share experiences with larger caliper sizes on where I might set my sites?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Collect cones for seed and try cuttings as well. I have had success with cuttings up to 3/4” thick. Use strong rooting hormone, seal any top cuts and keep the cut end submerged in water. I did these in 100% 8822 and kept them in about 3 inches of water the whole time. They take about 3 months to put off roots.

7852FBDD-D3AA-4B2E-BE96-5E4B332B1E7A.jpeg1D011ED6-3BD1-4886-A3D0-7EB23673502B.jpeg09E14102-6B93-4158-90D2-4A52BD21D450.jpegCF252C90-46BC-4F46-9FEA-69840EA04D8F.jpeg
I just started a new batch last night.
6FA0D876-982F-4113-882A-8460AE31B529.jpeg
I use a humidity tent in for the first month, mainly because I put them inside under grow lights.
33179A7D-90AD-41D2-841F-C54608D0228A.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That’s a big un! @Cajunrider ,he needs you to come visit Ohio! 🤣🤣
Definitely collectable but it will take you a while if you don’t have a tractor.

Call 811 before you dig :)

On the other hand you can wait and talk to the tree removal guys. May be you can cut a deal and they will do it for you.

If it were me I am just crazy enough to do it myself. But then I have plenty of experience with these things,

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay you overachievers! I ain't digging up a full-size tree. I'd have no place to put it, even if I could! So let's rule that out. What I'd like to know is... How common is it to get a 4 to 5 inch air layer in one season?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This one's for you, @Cajunrider ! Come and get it. (Note the knees, which is the reason they're getting rid of it.)
View attachment 485078
Not enough taper for me :)
There are knee shaver sold out there that enable cutting off the knees with very little effort if that us the only reason for getting rid of the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the input, @Beanwagon , and big time props to @19Mateo83 for the detailed background on BC cuttings. I wasn't necessarily interested in cuttings in this case, but I'm coming back around. Good to know BCs are amenable to that approach. Hope others can use the cuttings information for reference. Seems like tons of potential. I'm planning to go for a 4-5 inch air layer and cross my fingers. Thanks all.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, @Beanwagon , and big time props to @19Mateo83 for the detailed background on BC cuttings. I wasn't necessarily interested in cuttings in this case, but I'm coming back around. Good to know BCs are amenable to that approach. Hope others can use the cuttings information for reference. Seems like tons of potential. I'm planning to go for a 4-5 inch air layer and cross my fingers. Thanks all.
Every air layer I've attempted has just healed over. Hence why I just do cutting now. Sit then in water year round. The following season they are rooted and ready to do what you would like with.

Top Bottom