Bald cypress and Dawn redwood repotting

WallyJ

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just some general advice... I live in Arkansas zone 7b (just north of Little Rock). I have about 15 Bald cypress and Dawn redwood pre-bonsai trees all potted (for 2 years) in 8" plastic training pots. Most of the trees are between 18"-24" tall (although I do have 4 trees with 3" trunks).
Anyway, our weather has recently been in the mid-60's to high 70's almost daily with lows in the 45-55 degree range. Tomorrow I want to do the repots on these trees...tomorrows high will be 76 degrees here, but Friday the high will only be 49 degrees with a low of 42. By Monday, the temps will again be up in the high 60's and mid 70's. There is NO freezes expected for the next 10 days, although some temps may be as low as 40.
My QUESTION (I know...finally) is, will it be OK to go ahead and do the repots tomorrow and assume these trees will be fine as long as the temps stay above 40 degrees?

Thanks in advance.
WJ

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I repot both species any time through our (mild) winter and into spring. Have never seen any problem after repotted trees experience mild frost so even if you do get a few cooler nights they should still be OK.

Top Bottom