Bald Cypress Attempt

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Martin,
As you may already know, Gary Marchal will be the guest artist for our club in April. Will you be bringing some of your bald cypress, or the one in this thread? I will be supplying the tree for his demo, a nice large collected baldie, and am looking forward to his visit.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rusty,

I was very pleased to see Gary Marchal on the BSoC schedule this year. I missed him the last time he was here. Hopefully my "rest of my life" schedule will allow me to indulge my bonsai part of my life to see him and enjoy what he has to offer. I only have one other Bald Cypress besides this one that would be worth bringing, so if I am there, this one will be there!

Are you bringing the one that you purchased in the BSoC auction a couple of years ago? It was initially styled by Gary the last time he was here.

I am hopefull that I will be able to come to the meeting this weekend.

Regards,
Martin

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Martin,
I will be bringing that one, and some others, for styling advice and info. The one I mentioned for the demo is MUCH larger than the one I got from the club. Probably half again as tall, and 3 or 4 times the girth at the soil line. She is a monster! Here is a picture,the tree is more developed and filled out now as compared to the picture. The second picture is of the bc I got in the club auction, it is WAY overgrown in the pic, and has since been trimmed A LOT, especially in the top. I will take another picture of it tomorrow, and post it here.

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
  • asheville selection 006.jpg
    asheville selection 006.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 66

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rusty,

Thanks for sharing the pictures, especially the large Bald Cypress. Where did a small town North Carolina good ol' boy like you come by a tree like that?

Interesting willow leaf ficus next to it as well....

If Gary remembers that tree you picked up from the club auction and doesn't like it, you can blame me. I am the one who re-chopped it after I took it out of the grow pot it had been in when he styled it!

Regards,
Martin

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rusty,

Thanks for sharing the pictures, especially the large Bald Cypress. Where did a small town North Carolina good ol' boy like you come by a tree like that?

Regards,
Martin

I will never tell. Just kiddin, I got from a fellow 'Carolina good ol'boy. Check your PMs, I will give further details.

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rusty,

Interesting willow leaf ficus next to it as well....

Regards,
Martin

Even though this thread has primarily been on bc, I want share another pic of that ficus since you recognized it. The previous pic was early spring, and it was recovering from sitting in the house all winter. This next pic hopefully will show better health and care.

Attachments

• fig.jpg
    fig.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My apologies Martin, I didn't get around to taking an updated picture of that baldie like I said I would, was tied up w/ a doctor app., and am headed to school now.Sorry

Top Bottom