Bald Cypress Bonsai - Thoughts

Cryptocat

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a Bald Cypress Bonsai and I am waiting til all the leaves fall off before I prune. I live in Polk County and Cypress Trees are all over the place. I love them. I am very tentative when I prune. I want some ideas on the best way to shape this one. It has a second branch and I am thinking bout removing it. Any thoughts, I don't have a vision yet of what I want.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 12.23.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 12.23.11 PM.png
    774.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 12.23.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 12.23.24 PM.png
    715.4 KB · Views: 107

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
From what I’ve learned have a vision before you start cutting unless it’s just over all outline. I would grow it out in a bigger pot to thicken the trunk First and start deciding where you could see it heading. I love cypress too! Just south of you in desoto.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Bald Cypress Bonsai and I am waiting til all the leaves fall off before I prune. I live in Polk County and Cypress Trees are all over the place. I love them. I am very tentative when I prune. I want some ideas on the best way to shape this one. It has a second branch and I am thinking bout removing it. Any thoughts, I don't have a vision yet of what I want.
This is a young, small bald cypress so a few quick thoughts: 1) if it's your only tree then your biggest challenge will be to not overwork it at its young stage of life; this tree won't get better right now with any pruning or wiring you could do; 2) despite its size, in about four or five years it will begin to take on some character and by that time you can have it well styled - I would recommend a flat-top/spreading crown style, small BC look good when done this way; and 3) just feed it, water it and let it grow all it wants in 2020, and hope for more height which is what you need; in 2021, you should be able to do some selective pruning and begin the process of creating a good branch structure in the crown of the tree.

As an example of what can be done with a small BC, consider the smaller specimens in this group. They are now about 12 years old, but the largest of them only has a base of about 1" diameter. Yet they look old, with good character and are very well developed.
Cypress6-28-20-7.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I grow mine in a tub of water most of the time....taking it out for one or two days every week or 2.....both of mine are doing well.
Maybe the best species if you only want one.....you can go on vacation and leave it flooded.....not that people go on vacation anymore....

Cryptocat

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a young, small bald cypress so a few quick thoughts: 1) if it's your only tree then your biggest challenge will be to not overwork it at its young stage of life; this tree won't get better right now with any pruning or wiring you could do; 2) despite its size, in about four or five years it will begin to take on some character and by that time you can have it well styled - I would recommend a flat-top/spreading crown style, small BC look good when done this way; and 3) just feed it, water it and let it grow all it wants in 2020, and hope for more height which is what you need; in 2021, you should be able to do some selective pruning and begin the process of creating a good branch structure in the crown of the tree.

As an example of what can be done with a small BC, consider the smaller specimens in this group. They are now about 12 years old, but the largest of them only has a base of about 1" diameter. Yet they look old, with good character and are very well developed.
View attachment 321461

wow. The age is crazy. from My reading, I really like shohin bonsai. Trees 8-10 inches. I want to keep them small. Thanks for the advice. I have about 6 trees.

Cryptocat

Seedling
Reaction score
I grow mine in a tub of water most of the time....taking it out for one or two days every week or 2.....both of mine are doing well.
Maybe the best species if you only want one.....you can go on vacation and leave it flooded.....not that people go on vacation anymore....
Can I see a pic of yours is a tub of water ? So interested.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hi Cryptocat, if you add your location to your profile, then members knowing your location will be better able to give you advice :)
Didn’t occur to me. Lol. He’s 30 minutes to an hour from me so I knew his area! Lmao

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Can I see a pic of yours is a tub of water ? So interested.
I use bus tubs for letting mine soak. It’s not necessary but I feel they flare better when submerged. Think of swamp cypress vs. upland cypress that you’ve seen. Which usually has the wide bases?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

I would ALSO like to see this!

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use bus tubs for letting mine soak. It’s not necessary but I feel they flare better when submerged. Think of swamp cypress vs. upland cypress that you’ve seen. Which usually has the wide bases?

Nya-hahaha..... “bus tubs” ;)

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Nya-hahaha..... “bus tubs” ;)
Lmao they’re restaurant table bussing tubs from Sam’s club. I couldn’t find mortar tubs, they were always sold out. I put two small cypress in one with bonsai soil after drilling a lot of 1/4” holes in it. Then I put it in the other tub to hold water. When I want to drain them I just lift and rotate the tub. Been growing like weeds!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lmao they’re restaurant table bussing tubs from Sam’s club. I couldn’t find mortar tubs, they were always sold out. I put two small cypress in one with bonsai soil after drilling a lot of 1/4” holes in it. Then I put it in the other tub to hold water. When I want to drain them I just lift and rotate the tub. Been growing like weeds!
those are a good idea. i have similar saved in my amazon cart for future. they are totes you would see for busing tables or the bins you put metal items in for TSA or going into court.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
wow. The age is crazy. from My reading, I really like shohin bonsai. Trees 8-10 inches. I want to keep them small. Thanks for the advice. I have about 6 trees.
I’m not going to say it can’t be done, but I think you will find that it will be very difficult and frustrating to attempt a bald cypress Shohin bonsai. Their leaf size is simply too large to create a convincing image.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’m not going to say it can’t be done, but I think you will find that it will be very difficult and frustrating to attempt a bald cypress Shohin bonsai. Their leaf size is simply too large to create a convincing image.
It definitely doesn’t seem to reduce. At all. I wonder if applying any pine reduction techniques would help? I’m not sure what those are as I’m not growing any pines...yet lol

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have noticed mine does alot better constantly in a shallow pan of water, never take it out but the water does evaporate completely out sometimes

Top Bottom