Bald Cypress Bonsai - Year 5 - The Vision & The Pressure Washer

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My latest video is up:
This is a Summer styling of the tree I collected in 2013. Much work has been done on it over the years, and this year I begin to make the next round of hard decisions. All of it to keep the tree on track with my vision of what it can be.

Oh, and I'm using a pressure washer to clean the bark. It's a hell of a tool.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My latest video is up:
This is a Summer styling of the tree I collected in 2013. Much work has been done on it over the years, and this year I begin to make the next round of hard decisions. All of it to keep the tree on track with my vision of what it can be.

Great video and thanks for posting. I just spent an hour with a brass brush cleaning a trunk today. That pressure sprayer looks like it worked well. Really enjoy watching the progress of this tree. Keep up the good work.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
My latest video is up:

Nice shirt! I love Acme! Can't wait ti get back home!!!

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great video and thanks for posting. I just spent an hour with a brass brush cleaning a trunk today. That pressure sprayer looks like it worked well. Really enjoy watching the progress of this tree. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for watching. The Goof Gun is apparently good for defoliating as well. Small leafed trees take too long with scissors, but are easy peasy with the tool.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree also thnx gor explaining the sap flow on these trees!
At one point i tought is he ever gonna stop pruning lol
Looking forward to your next video!

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice tree also thnx gor explaining the sap flow on these trees!
At one point i tought is he ever gonna stop pruning lol
Looking forward to your next video!
Thanks. I try not to linger on anything for too long, but perhaps I did over-stay my welcome with pruning. I appreciate the feedback.

The real problem with the videos is editing. The raw footage for this is more than three hours and I don't shut up. Some people like to hear themselves talk. I wish I could shut the Hell up.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like your vids!!
That bald cypress bayou slab planting is great!
Keep em coming!
Thank you.

Next vid will be the North Carolina Arboretum. Not really exciting, but I do like the place and have wanted to do a tour video.

The video after that is a stunningly beautiful tree. I have three sessions videotaped from the last three years. I am going to edit it all down to one video. It'll be the swamp dig, potting, cutting decisions, and this year's explanation of my vision and styling. If I can do this in under 25 minutes, I'll be shocked.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. I try not to linger on anything for too long, but perhaps I did over-stay my welcome with pruning. I appreciate the feedback.

The real problem with the videos is editing. The raw footage for this is more than three hours and I don't shut up. Some people like to hear themselves talk. I wish I could shut the Hell up.

It wasnt that it took to long i just tought you got caried away and end up with np branches left to prune lol
I like it when people talk in vids makes it less boring ;)

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It wasnt that it took to long i just tought you got caried away and end up with np branches left to prune lol
I like it when people talk in vids makes it less boring ;)

Oh, yes, I see. Well that was on purpose. I was doing the light trim at first. Then I made that big cut on the main line of the tree. That caused me to reevaluate the pruning.

We cut our trees hard in NOLA. We cut on each other's trees even harder.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
been following this youtube channel for years, funny how small the world gets on a niche forum. will check it out after work

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for watching. The Goof Gun is apparently good for defoliating as well. Small leafed trees take too long with scissors, but are easy peasy with the tool.
Just last night I scrubbed and scrubbed on a trunk but cant get down into the nooks and crannies. After watching your video I ordered the goof gun and hope it will do the trick and make trunk cleaning a little easier.
Hopefully it will remove what you see I missed in this picture.
20170901_224452.jpg

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just last night I scrubbed and scrubbed on a trunk but cant get down into the nooks and crannies. After watching your video I ordered the goof gun and hope it will do the trick and make trunk cleaning a little easier.
Hopefully it will remove what you see I missed in this picture.
View attachment 159083

Be sure to understand the range of flow and power. It's best to start with mist and sneak up on the narrow stream. You would rather spend more time with a less forceful setting, than to do it quickly with more power and damage the bark. This will also help with crevices because you're spending more time on narrow areas.

Learn the technique on a landscape tree, or on someone else's bonsai. ;)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I made my own gu wich goes on the garden hose probably not as good as the goose gun tough
Ill try to make a vid of how it cleans up trunks if you like

Attachments

• 15043727567891739728412.jpg
    15043727567891739728412.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom