Bald Cypress Butt and Bole question and Fall foliage shot

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Here is one of the BC styles that you could shoot for with this one. The flat top -- a naturalistic style originated by Vaughn Banting. This one is mine, brought up here from Florida.

Attachments

• BC_2_002.JPG
    BC_2_002.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 43

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rockm, this is in response to the mention of Gary Marchon and his link. He conducted the first work session and critique that I ever attended last Spring.

Gary has moved from Louisiana to Atlanta and I understand from this forum that he may be conducting study groups or something. I am going to see if I can get in with that. I also have a 7 tree small BC collection that I hope will one day become a forest, so I have plenty to learn and to learn about BC's from Gary Marchol would be a dream. Thanks for the info and the link,I appreciate your time. Phillip C

Hi Phillip,

I was in Gary's study group, but I am sad to say that it is now defunct. He may do a private lesson or just plan to attend his next workshop with the Atlanta club. Several club members (Gary being the most notable) have lots of experience with BC. If you don't get what you need out of the upcoming workshop, attend one of Rodney Clemons'. He has some wonderful BC in his collection and understands them quite well.

Best,
Kirk

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JKL that is a beautiful BC How old is it. Mine is about 40-45 years old. Mine is going for the flat top, mature Cypress look and is along way down that road. Mine was collected outside of Brunswick, GA, sown south GA over by the coast. I really like your scaring (jin?) that looks very real as I know them in the wild. Great tree, be glad to take it off your hands should you decide you need more room or merely et bored with it or any other reason, I'll be first in line wanting it. Thanks for taking the time to post and showing that great old BC, I appreciate it. Phillip C

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Phillip,

I was in Gary's study group, but I am sad to say that it is now defunct. He may do a private lesson or just plan to attend his next workshop with the Atlanta club. Several club members (Gary being the most notable) have lots of experience with BC. If you don't get what you need out of the upcoming workshop, attend one of Rodney Clemons'. He has some wonderful BC in his collection and understands them quite well.

Best,
Kirk

Kirk, I hate to hear that the study group has disbanded, really bad news. If you could PM me with the names of some of the BC guys hopefully with their e-mail or phone numbers I would be forever in your debt. Are you a BC man? I hated to miss the Rodney Clemons workshop, but spent October in Maine. Cozart Smith took my trees in for me. Do you think Rodney Clemmons would have time to take on a student?

Are you going to the workshop this weekend with Ryan Neil? I'll be there with my BC, my wife, Maura who wants to learn and I will have the look on my face like "I have met all these people several times, but I can't remember their names for the life of me". i'd like to meet you (again?). We are going to the afternoon workshop on Saturday and will be thee Sunday as well. hope to see you there.

Thanks for the time, post and good advice. Much appreciated. Phillip C

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Rockm, that is a great tree, looks fine cut back and I imagine it was amazing prior to the trim. Where did you get this stock, or did you collect it from the wild. I would love to have one of those in my collection. I grow on a small deck, so I would have to ditch a few things for one, but would really like to come by a live oak. I am finding that I am gravitating toward our native trees more than the exotics. An American Beech would be an interesting tree to me as well. I am going down to my farm in Alabama for Thanksgiving and trim some flowering quince back to root it to train one day, The quince is flowering which is not really my thing, but this flowers prior to leafing out. I think this quince is an Asian type plant. I am going to look under my live oaks for some collectable sizes (for a 51 year old man). Funny that the older you get, the smaller plants I would collect are. Speaking strictly for me on that.

Thanks for the link and the time to post it. I am much obliged. Phillip C

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tend to favor native species myself. I've collected Black Cherry (prunus resinosa), American Beech, cedar elm, Carolina hornbeam, blueberry and chinese wisteria that has "gone native" blackhaw, and a few others. Some natives are better than others. Carolina hornbeam and Bald cypress are both great. American beech takes some patience and a little technical know-how because of its once-a-year growth spurt. Don't discount older non-native material in landscapes just because it's not from around here. Some of the most fantastic material available in the east are old foundation landscape plants that have gone to seed. Old plantations, abandon orchards and even 1960's era tract housing can harbor spectacular old oranmentals that can -- with a little elbow grease and permission from the land owner -- be turned into just as spectacular bonsai.

My live oak was dug in Texas back in the 1990's by a one notable Texas collector (Vito Megna) who has since retired from the trade. His back gave out from hefting collected trees.

BTW, I just turned 50 and that live oak weighs in the neighborhood of 175 lbs. It gets harder every year to get it into winter storage.

Last edited:

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
BTW, I just turned 50 and that live oak weighs in the neighborhood of 175 lbs. It gets harder every year to get it into winter storage.

Feel free to ship this out West, we don't have to put our trees in storage for the winter. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom