Bald Cypress - CHOP

Castanea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I want to begin working on a bald cypress by purchasing nursery stock and chopping it low.

I live in VA, hardiness zone 7a

What is the best time of year for me to do this?

Thanks

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You want to buy a BC from a nursery?
I don't generally see them available at the nurseries around me... why not grab a saw and some trash bags and head to the nearest swamp? Don't they grow in Va?

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one I collected and two from a nursery. I'm trying to hold out a few more weeks. I just don't trust the weather, zone 5 central IL

Castanea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You want to buy a BC from a nursery?
I don't generally see them available at the nurseries around me... why not grab a saw and some trash bags and head to the nearest swamp? Don't they grow in Va?

I could drive a few hours to find native bald cypress, but I'm working on a tight schedule these days and have my fair share of nurseries nearby

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is the best time of year for me to do this?

I wait until all frost has past and chop anytime through the growing season here. They don't seem to care honest, at least here. I chopped a young four foot down to under 2 foot leaving a couple of branches in the middle of last Summer and it did not bother it at all. I am going to gouge out the tap root and split it from the base upwards 10 inches or so this Spring and force it to stay separated and I again expect it to live.

Grimmy

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cache river in southern but not sure about any where to collect down there. I got seeds from some on spring lake by me. I drove down to Arkansas to collect one.IMG_20160521_122910389.jpgSouthern.. kayak tripIMG_20160427_090455.jpgSpring lake kayak tripIMG_20160505_170230929.jpgArkansas.. wish I had my kayak

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Once I see movement in my seedling I can send you some if you want a few small ones to play with. I want to to make sure I don't send dead sticks to you lol. I've got plenty.IMG_20160228_083941_416.jpgA cool one on spring lake

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@GrimLore was yours one that was collected you purchased online? Or did you find one at a garden center?

I purchased a few bare rooted online to try out a inexpensive provider. They grew from pencil thin to 1 1/2 - 2 inch bases in one growing season and 4 foot tall. I am getting a dozen or so again in the Spring for a forest in a few seasons and just hacking these and trying different methods.

Grimmy

Top Bottom