Bald cypress collected!

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hopefully not, they are pretty tough.
it may just lose some sap when it runs, probably a smaller volume than you donated 🩸 to the mosquitos during your search.

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hopefully not, they are pretty tough.
it may just lose some sap when it runs, probably a smaller volume than you donated 🩸 to the mosquitos during your search.
Ahhh I see . Yeah the mosquitoes 🦟 were pretty damn brutal. Could of bathed in some “off repellent “ an not felt bad about it 🥴 lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A scrape- no, or probably not. I was just curious if when cutting, the tree fell and striped it away. If the living tissue is striped from top to bottom, than that MAY be a problem. I had a monster that when felled pulled a 8" long and 2" wide stripe away. That swath of the tree was injured and took many years to recover. Now I am always cautious about stripping when I fell a tree, or evn if it's felled and I am taking the top off.

Cool trees! Enjoy!

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A scrape- no, or probably not. I was just curious if when cutting, the tree fell and striped it away. If the living tissue is striped from top to bottom, than that MAY be a problem. I had a monster that when felled pulled a 8" long and 2" wide stripe away. That swath of the tree was injured and took many years to recover. Now I am always cautious about stripping when I fell a tree, or evn if it's felled and I am taking the top off.

Cool trees! Enjoy!
Ahhh yes I see yea the scrape is pretty minor not deep by any means just enough to show color. I appreciate the input will keep in mind for future . Thanks ! I can’t wait to work on them .. just need to set em an forget em for a good season or so and see what I’m working with by then

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Make sure you seal your chops...
I was wondering about that . Best sealant to use ? I only have paste.... and some wood glue an wood hardener but don’t think they would be the best

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Oh man... that's beautiful! Can't wait to see the progression of that bad boy.... Congrats on the find!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sooooo some updates since collected ! As you can see When first posted I collected 2 but sadly one was lost but the one that’s still going is thriving !
Don't toss the "lost" one yet... sometimes they'll lose all their foliage and sulk for a month or three before pushing new growth. I'd hang onto that one for a few more months before tossing it

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sooooo some updates since collected ! As you can see When first posted I collected 2 but sadly one was lost but the one that’s still going is thriving !
The growth isn't strong yet. Just feed and water for the rest of 2020. It should pick up steam next year. You want the growth to be strong enough to produce pencil-thick shoots all the way from buds in a single growing season.

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Don't toss the "lost" one yet... sometimes they'll lose all their foliage and sulk for a month or three before pushing new growth. I'd hang onto that one for a few more months before tossing it
Thanks I still have it in a bin but it never did anything no buds no nothing so think she’s toast 😓

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The growth isn't strong yet. Just feed and water for the rest of 2020. It should pick up steam next year. You want the growth to be strong enough to produce pencil-thick shoots all the way from buds in a single growing season.
Yeah shouldn’t touch them for atleast a year but already the shoot up top are well big as a pencil not so as thick for the rest but Plan is to wait this year find the best chopping point to start building the new top and go from there. Not really sure might let it go for 2 years before doing so

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take Zach's advice. The growth on that surviving tree is not all that vigorous. It's good, but it should be better before you start messing with it. Next year...

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Take Zach's advice. The growth on that surviving tree is not all that vigorous. It's good, but it should be better before you start messing with it. Next year...
absolutely had no intentions on touching it this year just thought for just being dug up only 4 months ago with no foliage on it , to that was good progress is all . Cheers 🍻

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah shouldn’t touch them for atleast a year but already the shoot up top are well big as a pencil not so as thick for the rest but Plan is to wait this year find the best chopping point to start building the new top and go from there. Not really sure might let it go for 2 years before doing so
The scale was a little hard to see visually, but the message is the same. A strong BC will throw a dozen eager upward growing shoots that all want to reach the sky. Yours is just lagging. I see it all the time, and the key is to be patient enough for the tree to gain the strength it needs. I just wanted to encourage you not to start carving and wiring too soon. The tree isn't ready for that.

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The scale was a little hard to see visually, but the message is the same. A strong BC will throw a dozen eager upward growing shoots that all want to reach the sky. Yours is just lagging. I see it all the time, and the key is to be patient enough for the tree to gain the strength it needs. I just wanted to encourage you not to start carving and wiring too soon. The tree isn't ready for that.
Thanks for the info . No plans on touching it at all just watering it and letting it do it’s thing . Thank you again for the help !

Top Bottom