Bald Cypress Development

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
With a young bald cypress is it appropriate to use the CD method to develop their roots? I was thinking, instead of a flat CD I would make more of a cone with a hole in the center and doing the rest the same. That way I get a larger base and more flare like cypress naturally have. Ideas or experience?

Thanks, joe

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bald cypress don't generally need help with nebari development. I have found it good to put them in a wide container (like a mixing tub) for several years, and let the roots run.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have a old bald cypress that I collected and I have it in a cement mixing tub. I find growing them from young stock takes a long time to get the awesome flair that is so indicative of bald cypress, but yes Stan is correct it just letting it grow wild for a few years should help with that and A cd isn't really needed.

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for bringing this up! I have one right now just in a 5gal nursery pot that I want to repot to let it grow out to try to get better buttressing. For those that use the mixing tubs, do you put holes in the bottom for drainage or just use it as is? And what kind of soil did you put them in to handle all the water these trees love without ending up with a lot of rotting stuff in the soil?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I double lined my mixing tub as they're a little flimsy, and I used pumice and peat with no drainage holes. I fill the tub with water till its just at the soil line. If you have free standing water in the tub I find it just a place for bugs to breed. In winter I drill a few holes in the tub to drain the water to prevent a solid block of ice.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could go old school and use a 45 lp instead. :) Seriously just let it grow out.

ed

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for bringing this up! I have one right now just in a 5gal nursery pot that I want to repot to let it grow out to try to get better buttressing. For those that use the mixing tubs, do you put holes in the bottom for drainage or just use it as is? And what kind of soil did you put them in to handle all the water these trees love without ending up with a lot of rotting stuff in the soil?
I drilled about 100 holes in the bottom of mine. For soil, I used 100% soil conditioner. Johng has recommended using a mix w/LOTS of organics and actually pots most of his in straight fafards potting soil if I'm not mistaken.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For those that use the mixing tubs, do you put holes in the bottom for drainage or just use it as is? And what kind of soil did you put them in to handle all the water these trees love without ending up with a lot of rotting stuff in the soil?
I have done both with and without holes. I don't think it makes a difference as long as they are kept moist when using the drainage holes. As far as soil, I used an approx. mix of 75/25 Evergreen Top Soil and Pumice. I have also used a 80% inorganic mix and they grew just fine as long as I watered them very frequently.

BLUF I think they are pretty content in any type of mix as long as they don't get too dry. They are pretty forgiving. Good luck!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have done both with and without holes. I don't think it makes a difference as long as they are kept moist when using the drainage holes. As far as soil, I used an approx. mix of 75/25 Evergreen Top Soil and Pumice. I have also used a 80% inorganic mix and they grew just fine as long as I watered them very frequently.

BLUF I think they are pretty content in any type of mix as long as they don't get too dry. They are pretty forgiving. Good luck!

Yep pretty much, there almost bomb proof in terms on bonsai, the only thing that will do them in very quick is if the dry out. Almost an instant death, did that one from experience.

nite_owl_studios

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg I grow mine in a mixing tub. No drainage holes. In straight mud and keep it swampy. In the winter they go into my cold frame for protection. They fill the mixing container with new roots annually and continue to produce girth with yearly root pruning. My smallest (smaller than the diameter of coke can when potted) is now closer to 4" diameter at the base after two years of being grown on this manner.

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice one! Love how that base is coming along. I finally put the one I mentioned earlier in the thread into the same kind of tub and chopped it while I was at it to get some taper going higher up. It's in a mix of granite gravel, pumice, lava and fine orchid bark. I wanted to be able to refresh the water periodically so it didn't get gross so the rocky soil makes that easier. I put a nail in the side at the bottom as a drain plug so I can pull it out and drain the water periodically or when it rains and the tray fills up. I hope mine does as well as yours after a couple years.

Top Bottom