Bald Cypress Foliage and a Few Knees

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The clay pots are covering the knees, I can't keep the squirrels off of them. I hate those little b!@#$@ds!

Go here. Get one with the protective cage in the front. It'll keep dogs from becoming noseless (aka: dead). It's a vicious trap for anything that sticks anything inside of it: https://www.kania.net/

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OW OW OW, the best part about this awesome BC is the fact that they're grown from seed. I love it!
Squirrels ruin everything, finally got a fast dog, no more problems

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Go here. Get one with the protective cage in the front. It'll keep dogs from becoming noseless (aka: dead). It's a vicious trap for anything that sticks anything inside of it: https://www.kania.net/

Now, thanks a trap! Unfortunately, Mrs. Mullet is a softy so I have to live trap and relocate them, 52 so far.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now, thanks a trap! Unfortunately, Mrs. Mullet is a softy so I have to live trap and relocate them, 52 so far.
I had a raccoon making itself at home in my roof a couple of years back. Since I live in a suburban area that frowns on DYI shotgun therapy, I called in a redneck (and that's from a fellow redneck) live trapper from Fredericksburg, Va. He was, as we used to say in the South, a "good 'ol boy" (with a degree in wildlife management) and we shot the shit for a while about hunting, baseball, etc.

I asked him what he actually did with the live squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc. that he caught in his traps.

He said he released them down south in rural areas, but said the VAST majority of those critters would be dead soon in spite of the humane trapping by him. He said most would be killed outright in a few days by their brethren as interloping competitors. Others would be claimed by cars or other mishaps because they were unfamiliar with the territory and have to keep moving because of constant combat with the native population. Live traps, in other words, are mostly a death sentence for the critter trapped in them. It just makes suburban homeowners and tree-huggers feel better about themselves...;-)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I had a raccoon making itself at home in my roof a couple of years back. Since I live in a suburban area that frowns on DYI shotgun therapy, I called in a redneck (and that's from a fellow redneck) live trapper from Fredericksburg, Va. He was, as we used to say in the South, a "good 'ol boy" (with a degree in wildlife management) and we shot the shit for a while about hunting, baseball, etc.

I asked him what he actually did with the live squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc. that he caught in his traps.

He said he released them down south in rural areas, but said the VAST majority of those critters would be dead soon in spite of the humane trapping by him. He said most would be killed outright in a few days by their brethren as interloping competitors. Others would be claimed by cars or other mishaps because they were unfamiliar with the territory and have to keep moving because of constant combat with the native population. Live traps, in other words, are mostly a death sentence for the critter trapped in them. It just makes suburban homeowners and tree-huggers feel better about themselves...;-)

Yeah, I had read the same thing, especially for squirrels, they are territorial. I don't care that they eventually die, have done away with a few when the Mrs wasn't around.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey John, sorry for the off-topic question... what's the plant in the lower right hand corner of the final photo? (not the variegated one)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Come a little closer - I'll slip a few ones in your g-string.

Now SHOW US YOUR KNEES - TAKE THOSE POTS OFF!!! :p

It's been a while since you've been to the strip club, they want fives and tens now.....lol, at least at the good ones.

I'll get some shots of the knees next time I am off, and of the one that my dad has, his are really cool, the bald cypress, not my dad's knees.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hey John, sorry for the off-topic question... what's the plant in the lower right hand corner of the final photo? (not the variegated one)

That is serissa, pink fairy, as is the variegated one, also, it is called pink swan. I have it coming up everywhere, from seed and from cuttings that fall on the ground when I am pruning. The whole area around the benches would be a serissa forest it I did not mow there.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is serissa, pink fairy, as is the variegated one, also, it is called pink swan. I have it coming up everywhere, from seed and from cuttings that fall on the ground when I am pruning. The whole area around the benches would be a serissa forest it I did not mow there.
Your yard must be gorgeous! Even your volunteer plants are pretty :)

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
BC knees? Bee's knees! I think I just fell in love again.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Top Bottom