Bald Cypress Foliage and a Few Knees

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have much experience with these? I ask because i just collected some this winter and while two are popping new growth I have 2 others that are not. Is there a way to tell if they aren't gonna make it. I did everything the same way for all of them

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With a collected BC trunk it's difficult to tell if any given tree will make it or not. They don't have dormant buds, and even if you preserve a smaller branch or two they don't have dormant buds either. Give yours more time. They don't all come out at the same time.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the species. That knee form in the pot or was it exposed after collection?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Do you have much experience with these? I ask because i just collected some this winter and while two are popping new growth I have 2 others that are not. Is there a way to tell if they aren't gonna make it. I did everything the same way for all of them

I have a lot of experience with BC, but mine are grown from seed. So go with Zach's advice, he has a lot of experience.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Cadillactaste, here is the whole compostition, as best as I could photograph it today. I have a plan for a large backdrop, but did not have time to put it all together, so, better pictures later.

DSC08383-1.jpg

DSC08384-1.jpg

DSC08389-1.jpg

DSC08390-1.jpg

DSC08393-1.jpg

DSC08394-.jpg

The clay pots are covering the knees, I can't keep the squirrels off of them. I hate those little b!@#$@ds!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Cadillactaste, here is the whole compostition, as best as I could photograph it today. I have a plan for a large backdrop, but did not have time to put it all together, so, better pictures later.

View attachment 183799

View attachment 183800

View attachment 183801

View attachment 183802

View attachment 183803

View attachment 183804

The clay pots are covering the knees, I can't keep the squirrels off of them. I hate those little b!@#$@ds!
I thought they were filled with soil so roots would grow into them, which you could then expose> create new knees. I still think it would work, you should give it a shot!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I thought they were filled with soil so roots would grow into them, which you could then expose> create new knees. I still think it would work, you should give it a shot!

I don't think it works that way, but who knows? They have actually grown under there, the squirrels kept them gnawed down.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't think it works that way, but who knows? They have actually grown under there, the squirrels kept them gnawed down.
I have no idea, probably wouldn’t. Wouldn’t hurt to try though; It just might be crazy enough to work. I thought I read somewhere here about someone exposing roots and kinda folding them up and letting them grow. Pseudo-knees, but look real.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have no idea, probably wouldn’t. Wouldn’t hurt to try though; It just might be crazy enough to work. I thought I read somewhere here about someone exposing roots and kinda folding them up and letting them grow. Pseudo-knees, but look real.

I saw that to, I an article by Bonsai Mary. I can't remember the guys name that did the folded roots, bot it looked like, well, crap. It in no way even resembled knees and in a million years those loops would not have closed.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I saw that to, I an article by Bonsai Mary. I can't remember the guys name that did the folded roots, bot it looked like, well, crap. It in no way even resembled knees and in a million years those loops would not have closed.
Yup that was it. I don’t remember the results too well though, I’ll have to find it again. It’s unfortunate there’s no shortcuts to forming knees

Top Bottom