Bald cypress from cuttings

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Growing bald cypress just couldn't be any easier. I just cut my trimmed branch to 10 inch cuttings and stuck them in my soaked BC pot and they grew. 20181007_083808.jpg

Attachments

• 20181007_083823.jpg
    20181007_083823.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 115

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Going on that success I'm doing a batch of 12 cuttings in 12 oz cups filled with coco fiber & sand. Based on what I've seen, I'm going to keep those cups really wet. I'll report the result here in about a month or so.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You live in Louisiana...ever thought to collect? I have seen some impressive trees collected for bonsai around that state.
It's not that easy to find them! I'm still looking for an opportunity. My goal is a modest 30" tall bonsai with a smallish trunk so I'll live with a nursery bought tree, knowing that I won't have any knees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's not that easy to find them! I'm still looking for an opportunity. My goal is a modest 30" tall bonsai with a smallish trunk so I'll live with a nursery bought tree, knowing that I won't have any knees.
I understand that...but if you get to a place that has them...think of cuttings as well. Here's my cutting... 4 years in training before my purchasing it. I would be temped to stick one in the yard of those nursery trees and let it thicken up faster if you had space. Or at least think about grow out boxes over the cups.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 113

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I understand that...but if you get to a place that has them...think of cuttings as well. Here's my cutting... 4 years in training before my purchasing it. I would be temped to stick one in the yard of those nursery trees and let it thicken up faster if you had space. Or at least think about grow out boxes over the cups.
Oh I got a lot of space to stick them in the ground. All these cuttings will go into the ground. I have several acres to grow them. The 30" smallish bonsai will be done because I want to enjoy my cypress on my back deck without having to put mosquito spray on me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh I got a lot of space to stick them in the ground. All these cuttings will go into the ground. I have several acres to grow them. The 30" smallish bonsai will be done because I want to enjoy my cypress on my back deck without having to put mosquito spray on me.

The mosquitoes hindered the work on my trees this season too, which is incredibly annoying. Getting ready to put them all away for the season...(sigh)

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If this is so easy, then maybe you would be willing to carefully dig up one of those cuttings to see the root development?

I took cuttings from my tree in July, put them into soaked pot, only a few fronds dropped and new growth started to emerge about 3 weeks later... but then stalled. Growth stalled just at the stage of bud elongation that you show in your photo.

When I dug the cuttings up three weeks ago (still green and still stalled)... Zero roots.

Very weird that the cutting stayed green for 3 months and pushed a little growth but threw no roots at all.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If this is so easy, then maybe you would be willing to carefully dig up one of those cuttings to see the root development?

I took cuttings from my tree in July, put them into soaked pot, only a few fronds dropped and new growth started to emerge about 3 weeks later... but then stalled. Growth stalled just at the stage of bud elongation that you show in your photo.

When I dug the cuttings up three weeks ago (still green and still stalled)... Zero roots.

Very weird that the cutting stayed green for 3 months and pushed a little growth but threw no roots at all.
I pulled up 4 and only 1 got a tiny root. You are right. Oh well no harm no foul. I'm collecting the BC balls this December and planting the seeds then. I'm leaving the rest of the sticks in soil all the way to spring to see if there is anything. I'll then report the statistics on my experiment on BC from cuttings.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Cuttings from conifers do not always root right away. Give the cuttings time. For example when I root Shimpaku and Juniper horizontalis cuttings, I strike the cuttings in autumn, the ones that stay green, will not actually make roots until July or later the following year. As long as the cutting is green, not dried out, it can still produce roots. Usually the cutting first forms callus, then some time later, the callus forms roots. This can be a very slow process. The longest a cutting ever took was about 30 months, but then it did form roots.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cuttings from conifers do not always root right away. Give the cuttings time. For example when I root Shimpaku and Juniper horizontalis cuttings, I strike the cuttings in autumn, the ones that stay green, will not actually make roots until July or later the following year. As long as the cutting is green, not dried out, it can still produce roots. Usually the cutting first forms callus, then some time later, the callus forms roots. This can be a very slow process. The longest a cutting ever took was about 30 months, but then it did form roots.
You give me hope. :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You know these can grow really fast from seed. I have a 1.5 yr seedling that's probably 4 ft tall. You could easily grow a hundred of them!
I'm planning to do exactly that this coming spring. I'm collecting BC balls this fall.

Top Bottom