Bald Cypress from Cuttings

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love growing things from seed! It’s been my way of acquiring material (slowly) for a while. I’ve been looking around for BC seeds for a while now but haven’t had any luck. I’ve seen a couple threads here and there, some say it’s a waste of time, others say they’ve had success. Figured I’d give it a go and document it in case of success, all I need is a donor tree. Lucky for me, I have one on hand!
73DFAA81-5054-403C-8DBD-C71EED7E7BE1.jpeg
This thing resides on my property, we planted it as a landscape tree near a few years ago (before I got into bonsai) and it’s grown quite well since then!

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I picked growth that was about 4-6 inches long for my cuttings and threw them into a cup of water to keep them from drying out too much.
0902AA11-308B-4E12-B0C6-5A5DD84AD669.jpeg
Once I brought them inside I trimmed the extra length down and removed any low side shoots.
BF66A0DB-CA75-41FB-B9C7-EA546DDD7D1A.jpeg
E40FB777-2168-450F-AC2E-FCAA3DA3830B.jpeg

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had a tray filled with 2 parts perlite : 1 part premixed bonsai soil (had it laying around).
E92C86D1-8F50-49A0-AF7C-9568C15B5C02.jpeg
I dusted the cuttings with rooting hormone and placed each one into holes I had poked into the mix.
4632B315-BA7F-427D-98EA-04658515B8AB.jpeg
I lightly watered them, very lightly! I didn’t want to wash the rooting hormone away, just kind of settle the substrate around the cuttings. I then put them under a humidity dome on a heat mat, hoping to get some roots in a couple weeks so they can go outside before any real cold!

Or they’ll just die! Haha

Glen Y

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I started a handful of bc seed in regular potting mix; kept then refrigerated until sprouted (about 6 weeks). Got 7 that I transferred to a mix of mushroom compost, perlite and potting soil. After a year I had lost 2 but the rest were about 12“ tall and looking good. Then had the house washed, lost 3 and set rhe remaining 2 back severely. That was 2 years ago. Will trunk chop and reduce roots sometime late winter and move them into training pots to start shaping.

it was my first attempt. Amazing to see something grow fron a small seed. Also heartbreaking to lose them.

Attachments

• 8DC7E232-24DC-4C24-8DF6-BB9EFD197932.jpeg
    8DC7E232-24DC-4C24-8DF6-BB9EFD197932.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 40
  • E9F1FE3F-736D-4513-9D1F-5A73B8729123.jpeg
    E9F1FE3F-736D-4513-9D1F-5A73B8729123.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 47

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
cool. i got a bc cutting to root from mid summer during a hot drought. i tried to keep it extra moist because their nature. used no hormone, just rainwater. its cutting that looked like yours and the growth has only been staying green and additional buds popping up from the base of trunk/branches, like 4 of them i want to say. i put it at the base of my coral bark maple training tree that is 6' tall. next to it i got a kousa to root in the same way but that has 6 new leafs. when in rome: i got lucky with an early fall 3 year old kousa i pulled up that had been weedwacked but left in garden bed like a weed. i had a bunch of roots with it and after a month or two that has taken as well, next to an atlantic white cedar in a large terracotta outside.

fun stuff, good luck

forgot one: i thought i was looking at a unique maple, but i found a sapling (3" with like one of two tiny roots i got with it) for a sweetgum palmate that is super cool. i have four new leafs on it, next to some small maples in a seed tray. hope this one continues as much as the BC

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Haines' Trees
Nice set up for the cuttings. You might have some good success. Keep us posted. This really looks like it will work. Give them time. They might not root until sometime in spring. Or they might root right away. I have no hands on experience with BC cuttings.

Sheffield Seed is my go to for seed. They are currently out of northern sourced Bald Cypress, which is the better geographic race for the Chicago area. But they are very good at letting you know when a fresh batch of seed comes in. Bald cypress cones are just getting ripe right now in southern IL. I wager Sheffields will have fresh seed in the near future. Follow their directions to be notified by email when new seed is in and they will contact you.

Bald cypress is quick enough growing from seed that making cuttings is not often done. But you are right, many sources are "out of stock" because the 2020 crop of seed is still on the trees ripening.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I actually met with complete failure. All browned up and withered. A couple held on for a while like they were trying, but no dice. My first time giving it a go, we’ll do better next time haha

@Leo in N E Illinois Sheffield’s is my goto for seeds as well. I have signed up to be notified when they have BC, along with a few other varieties.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually met with complete failure. All browned up and withered. A couple held on for a while like they were trying, but no dice. My first time giving it a go, we’ll do better next time haha

@Leo in N E Illinois Sheffield’s is my goto for seeds as well. I have signed up to be notified when they have BC, along with a few other varieties.

On top of ordering live material I spent like way too much at Sheffield's this year.
If even half of what I ordered germinates and survives transplantation I am going
to be neck deep in more than I will be able to deal with.
The optimism of old age I guess.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
^I had that problem earlier this year. Fortunately for me we had a good tornado in mid summer that culled a fair few seedlings for me haha

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had good success rooting cuttings, and even had cut branches root in a bag of sphagnum moss.
What time of year do you recommend taking cuttings? Could you briefly describe your approach?—length of cutting, how much foliage left on, medium
Thanks

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What time of year do you recommend taking cuttings? Could you briefly describe your approach?—length of cutting, how much foliage left on, medium
Thanks

Last couple times it was late winter when I took hardwood cuttings, and they went into perlite and maybe some fines of other substrates. I kept them in cheap plastic pots that came with transparent domes, and kept them humid. Like I mentioned above, one time I had my sticks to use for cuttings and forgot them in a bag with sphagnum moss. I just kept throwing water in the bag, and they rooted like an airlayer. It can take time for them to show roots, but they should work out. Here are two photos showing the types of branches I rooted.Screenshot_20200104-102531_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20200104-102645_Samsung Internet.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last couple times it was late winter when I took hardwood cuttings, and they went into perlite and maybe some fines of other substrates. I kept them in cheap plastic pots that came with transparent domes, and kept them humid. Like I mentioned above, one time I had my sticks to use for cuttings and forgot them in a bag with sphagnum moss. I just kept throwing water in the bag, and they rooted like an airlayer. It can take time for them to show roots, but they should work out. Here are two photos showing the types of branches I rooted.View attachment 333039View attachment 333040
Good things, thanks Wilson!
Was honestly surprised at first to hear of them rooting so well, but suppose it makes sense given the nature of the species. Going to give a try.

...Makes ya wonder how often this may happen in the wild given snapped branches and such in marshy areas

Top Bottom