Bald Cypress group progression

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have 4 BC seedlings that I bought in March. They are all planted in inorganic soil, they do have 1/3" akadama, but that was not enough to keep them growing so I submerged the pots in water. I lost 2 to a hail storm. The other 3 are pictured here in order of time. The last one is a 1 gal tree I bought online in April. You can see it pictured behind the seedlings. The seedlings grew about the size of that 1 gal in 2 months, so I decided to move the 1 gal into a rootpouch and into water. It is finally thickening. I will include all the trees here as they are in development, as I decided to work on them I will create their own thread.

MARCH
BC Mar.JPG

JUNE
BC June.jpg

JULY
BC July.jpg

TODAY
IMG_3436.jpg

TODAY Seedling
IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

TODAY 1 Gal
IMG_3440.jpg

APR
BC trees.jpg

TODAY Seedlings
IMG_3437.jpg

Today 1 Gal
IMG_3442.jpg

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, awesome growth in one summer! Do you keep them in water consistently? I’ve been wanting to try a bald cypress, this is inspiring.
Also, where did you get those pots?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have 4 BC seedlings that I bought in March. They are all planted in inorganic soil, they do have 1/3" akadama, but that was not enough to keep them growing so I submerged the pots in water. I lost 2 to a hail storm. The other 3 are pictured here in order of time. The last one is a 1 gal tree I bought online in April. You can see it pictured behind the seedlings. The seedlings grew about the size of that 1 gal in 2 months, so I decided to move the 1 gal into a rootpouch and into water. It is finally thickening. I will include all the trees here as they are in development, as I decided to work on them I will create their own thread.

MARCH
BC Mar.JPG

JUNE
BC June.jpg

JULY
BC July.jpg

TODAY
View attachment 393275

TODAY Seedling
IMG_3439.jpg

View attachment 393274

TODAY 1 Gal
IMG_3440.jpg

APR
BC trees.jpg

TODAY Seedlings
IMG_3437.jpg

Today 1 Gal
IMG_3442.jpg
Great progress!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, awesome growth in one summer! Do you keep them in water consistently? I’ve been wanting to try a bald cypress, this is inspiring.
Also, where did you get those pots?
Yes, they are in water constantly. I flush the water every week and add some Summit Chemical Mosquito bits to prevent bugs from the water. I think I will remove them from the water as we get into cold weather and the BC lose their leaves and go into dormancy. One thing I would do differently is to use a much bigger pot, I think these ones are 5.5" and one of them is pushing out of the pot already and have a very thick root starting to circle the pot. All of them have finer roots going from under the pot into the water.

The pots are from Lowes, they are Pennington Bulb Pan terracotta planters. They are shallower than regular planters. They don't have "feet" so you will need to grind some grooves to help water flush out of the pot if using them on a bench.

Great progress!
Thanks.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, they are in water constantly. I flush the water every week and add some Summit Chemical Mosquito bits to prevent bugs from the water. I think I will remove them from the water as we get into cold weather and the BC lose their leaves and go into dormancy. One thing I would do differently is to use a much bigger pot, I think these ones are 5.5" and one of them is pushing out of the pot already and have a very thick root starting to circle the pot. All of them have finer roots going from under the pot into the water.

The pots are from Lowes, they are Pennington Bulb Pan terracotta planters. They are shallower than regular planters. They don't have "feet" so you will need to grind some grooves to help water flush out of the pot if using them on a bench.

Thanks.
This is the push I needed. BC is one of my favorite species for sure, I’ve always wanted a few. I think I’m definitely going to start some next spring.
I love the pots, you’re right, they’ve proven too small for these trees. But they’re definitely useful. I’ve been trying to find some shallow pots for training junipers - honestly just for the aesthetic, the deeper pots work fine, but I’m partial the the look of the shallow pots.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am experiencing the same fast growth with my cypress yearlings. My current set up is a Home Depot medium mortar tub filled with 1 ft3 of cheap compost. The BC are planted on top of that in 2 12”x15” sieve seed trays from Amazon. The tub do not have drain holes so the small roots are free to go through the sieve trays and get as much water as they want. I an hoping this set up will keep the roots flat to be ready for bonsai pots.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice progress man!

I thought I had good growth on mine but you have probably had double than what I had. :D

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I repotted this ones Saturday, completely barerooted and screwed into a tile before placing them into 2 gal Rootpouch. I used Monto Clay from Bonsai Jack and Pumice. I will fertilize heavily this year. If they grow as fast as they did last year, I will probably open up the bottom of the bags and move into individual water containers filled 1/2 way with lava to allow for better growth. I think if I had used bigger pots last year the basal spread would had been wider.

The one on the right that you can't see had to be "slip potted" late fall into a Rootpouch because it was literally falling off the terracotta pot I had them in. That one was left alone this year. I was planning to do a forest with all of them, but after seeing the size of most examples here and Mirai's, I don't think I want to deal with something so big as I am not getting any younger.

This ones were cut as an experiment to see what to expect from the chop. Once new branches develop I will decide what to do with them. The twin trunk was 2 seedlings that were planted together, they are fused at the base right now.

I had to use the metal bars and strap them down to the bench as the wind kept knocking them sideways. I need to build a lower platform or a wind breaker as the slope in my backyard leaves them unprotected from the winds when they come from the south/southwest.

BC new.jpg

BC Twin.jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I may attempt to make this one a shohin... one of those new branches will be the future leader and lower branches.

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

Plenty of choices for the twin trunk
IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some close up of the trunks. This one and the twin were repotted this spring. The other single trunk was slip-potted last fall-early winter. Another lesson I learned was not to cut the bags for depth but just fold them outwards. That way if the tree grows too strong I can unroll the bag up and have more space for the soil so it doesn't start eroding outwards like the problem I had with the terracotta pot last year.

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All of them are between 3-4" at the base. The big one is about 4.5" I tried to take some pics but my iphone is inducing some kind of fish eye effect, and the pics don't show the correct shape. I'm going to have to figure this one out.

1661903332259.jpeg

1661903352327.jpeg

1661903372172.jpeg

1661903388711.jpeg

1661903428825.jpeg

1661903486199.jpeg

1661903501378.jpeg

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow from seedlings in 2021 to 4.5 inches in 2022??? That is absolutely insane growth.

Top Bottom