Bald Cypress grown from a seed...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I realize many of you already read IBC and as such you have probably already seen this video. But, for those of you that don't... This past weekend Arthur Joura, Bonsai curator from the North Carolina Arboretum, visited our study group. One of the things he brought along to work on was a Bald Cypress that he has grown from a seed.

This video represents just the initial work on this tree...
[video=youtube_share;cfDaxVzhESs]http://youtu.be/cfDaxVzhESs[/video]

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was sorry I had to leave that day before you got to this one (where did y'all wind up going for lunch? LOL)

Great to see the video- thanks for sharing! I have watched a couple of older videos of Arthur since then and he is a wealth of knowledge!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for sharing John!

I just skipped through it but will watch it in full tonight. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
nice video. I don't like the top left branch. I realize you are leaving it "as is" so it backbuds and you will reduce it later and work from there. But, its girth is distracting in relation to the other existing branches. Is your plan to work to slow its growth while working to speed thickening of the two leads off the back/opposite side? I also realize it may have been your only (or best) option for a branch there. So, other than that, it looks like a great start and good work to set up its future. Good job.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
nice video. I don't like the top left branch. I realize you are leaving it "as is" so it backbuds and you will reduce it later and work from there. But, its girth is distracting in relation to the other existing branches. Is your plan to work to slow its growth while working to speed thickening of the two leads off the back/opposite side? I also realize it may have been your only (or best) option for a branch there. So, other than that, it looks like a great start and good work to set up its future. Good job.

Don, I completely agree about that branch and the plan is to let the other two get larger and eventually reduce the branch in question. Probably could have been reduced already but better safe than sorry. Thanks for your comment! I certainly look to you as a very experienced BC guy...your trees are amazing! It would be great to see some updated pics if you have time!

John

Top Bottom