Bald Cypress - Is it dead?

Suhanhegde

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I bought 8 bare root bald cypress trees in 2021 spring. The plan was to to train in normal planters with garden soil and pine bark and in 2 years repot them to bonsai planters. They turned out pretty good - with health leaves and growth. I live close to Philadelphia, PA zone 7a. I read from a few posts that bald cypress trees can survive outside in my zone. As winter closed in I left them out like all my other bonsai trees in training. They lost all there leaves. Early in spring I wanted to organize my trees in the right planters, and repotted them in potting soil mixed with pine bark and vermiculite. It’s June 2022 and only one of the 8 bald cypress trees has grown leaves. Some of the other showed signs of budding but they dried out. I have kept them in water to avoid root dryout. Does anyone have suggestions or advice as to what I can do next? Are my trees dead? it is very hard to determine by the trunk.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You are in 7A, they should be leafing by now. Without being able to examine them in real life, based on what you told us, they are likely dead or very close to it. Just keep the soil moist and NOT soggy. They might come back for you but I think it is a long shot.

Suhanhegde

Seed
Reaction score
You are in 7A, they should be leafing by now. Without being able to examine them in real life, based on what you told us, they are likely dead or very close to it. Just keep the soil moist and NOT soggy. They might come back for you but I think it is a long shot.
Thank you, hope they make it.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Sounds like they're toast - I would toss a couple of them in tubs of water and see what happens, what have you got to lose?

I've had some small BC near death and submerging them in water saved them!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cajunrider knows a lot about BC but I'm a little confused by his watering suggestion. A lot of folks raise them in standing water and they grow in swamps here. I'm in 9a. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cajunrider knows a lot about BC but I'm a little confused by his watering suggestion. A lot of folks raise them in standing water and they grow in swamps here. I'm in 9a. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Putting trees under water subject them to a lot of stress. When the top is healthy BCs respond to that challenge and put on tremendous root growth. When the tree is weak, it dies. I have killed dozens of BC seedlings when I put them in water prematurely. What I suggested was what I did to save some of those BCs.

When I go to the swamp there are no BC seedlings in deeper water. In areas where water can be seasonably low, the seedlings take and grow fast before the high water season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Putting trees under water subject them to a lot of stress. When the top is healthy BCs respond to that challenge and put on tremendous root growth. When the tree is weak, it dies. I have killed dozens of BC seedlings when I put them in water prematurely. What I suggested was what I did to save some of those BCs.

When I go to the swamp there are no BC seedlings in deeper water. In areas where water can be seasonably low, the seedlings take and grow fast before the high water season.
Thank you for the response. That makes a lot of sense. I don't see seedlings in the swamp either. I just never thought about it I guess.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Not "deep" water, just slightly under soil level.

Perfect breeding ground. This is where I've collected and its loaded with BC saplings you can pluck them out one by one.

The OPs trees aren't seedlings, and I've never heard of BC struggling in water, but could be wrong. Was just sharing what saved a few of mine from near death.

Screenshot_20220612-090102_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220612-090110_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220612-090248_Photos.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not "deep" water, just slightly under soil level.

Perfect breeding ground. This is where I've collected and its loaded with BC saplings you can pluck them out one by one.

The OPs trees aren't seedlings, and I've never heard of BC struggling in water, but could be wrong. Was just sharing what saved a few of mine from near death.

View attachment 441696

View attachment 441697

View attachment 441698
That looks like perfect condition for seedlings. I have no doubt that you have raised lots of BC like that. Yet for the sick BCs in relatively cold weather, I find the water a struggle for them. I put them in environment where more oxygen can reach the roots like roots of all other trees. When they get healthy again, I dunk them to water right to soil level just like you do.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only thing that killed them was that you went against your own good plan.

Welcome to Crazy!

Ought Repot in summer too.

Sorce

Suhanhegde

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! Will go with Cajunrider’s advice and will update. Any ideas on how long is too long.
Sorce: completely agree! :)

Top Bottom