Bald cypress left in the ground for thks season...

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
So I have a cypress in the ground that has been chopped and is budding like mad. Since it is in a position that has little competition for light and now is not the correct time of year to collect it, I intend to leave it in the ground for the remainder of the season. Given that it sits in a seasonal flood area, it will soon be just peeking out of the alligator-infested water, and my window to keep tabs on it will soon end for the rainy season. Should I let all the new growth go wild, or should I give it some direction before I leave it to the alligators? Here are some photos, starting with what I perceive to be a good front, based on the nebari visible above the soil line.
20200609_181406.jpg20200609_181415.jpg20200609_181425.jpg20200609_181437.jpg20200609_181355.jpg20200609_181347.jpg

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
Well I guess that means people are really not fans of cypress...

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Lol good looking front. I probably would've chopped it a tad bit lower, but you can always cut back to one of those newer shots next spring when you collect it.

Other than that, just remember where it is at, and let it grow wild

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I love Cypress… Personally I would have taken it down just a little bit further. There’s a large straight section with not a lot of taper. But maybe it’s just the pics.
Did you cut on an angle because you are intending for the new shoot to become your leader? If yes… You should cut it at 45° and seal the wound.
Little late in the season to do a whole hell of a lot right now… Let it grow and pluck it next year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
alligator-infested

I watched a thing on Komodo Dragons killing people the other day, so when i watching this other video, of an alligator walking, rather hidden behind something, I was thinking, what country is that?, Then it poked out and I was like damn! Oh yeah! We got them big shits here!

I think you could go a bit further down, beyond that swell, bit it might still be ok, in the ground, you should be ok to use this, or go further.

Sorce

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the responses. I was getting worried because if I waited much longer, I'd be sharing the tree location with gators while I worked.

The common theme here is that I should cut lower on the trunk. Aaron, yes that was my misguided attempt to select a leader. I guess I didn't want to go so far down that I killed the branch, thinking I could clean it up later. I imagine that it would be better to make the cut once and make it right.

One thing that might impact where I should cut back to will be the high water mark on surrounding trees. Would it hurt the tree if the whole thing were submerged for a month in the middle of the season? I think that if it would set the tree back severely I might want to measure to the high water mark on surrounding trees to see if some of these potential cuts would be viable. With a that in mind, there are 4 potential cut sites that i identified in the attached photo and i will leave it to the experts to select the best looking one based on the aesthetics of the base of the tree. For reference, the base of the tree is about 6 inches in diameter.

So my final questions before I make any final cuts will be:
1)Will it screw the tree if the cut site and potentially even the entire new leader ended up underwater for a month?
2)Should I show preference for the new leader and direct the tree where to focus its growth by removing any of the other shoots, such as ones sticking out of the nebari, or ones that are too low on the tree to be usable as branches? Or should I let it go nuts as more branches will help the tree's health over the coming season?
3)I dont have time to order and have cut paste shipped before the water gets too high. Gorilla wood glue, Elmer's school glue, or another substitute that can be obtained in a big box retailer?

20200613_234803.jpg

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Do nothing.

Let it just go wild until next spring.

***Next spring***

Find the beginning of the root mass, make a lower chop. Dig it up, prune the roots. Pot it up and let it recover for a year or two while you bounce around the idea of different angles, branches, leaders, etc, etc.

EDIT:.

For what it's worth, I'd take it all the way back here. Probably even lower depending on where the rootball starts. Just a straight chop right across the top. And use the new options to eventually chose a new leader....... but I'm not in a rush and appreciate the journey.

Screenshot_20200613-231742_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ideally you want to chop the tree 1/3 you want the trees final size to be.....12” chop = 36” tree. If it were mine.... I would pick a leader now and chop a 45. Use a dremal or something similar and make the cut slightly concave... this will allow the callus to roll over the chop.
You can use window glaze as a sealer in a pinch If cut paste is out of the question.

Play it safe is always best.... as @Johnathan said leave till next spring but I’m not sure how the tree will fair totally submerged...probably will be fine.

Hope this helps. I like the tree...

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
If I were to cut diagonally and choose a leader, which leader works best with the line of the base? Im thinking rhe orange or purple cut line. I think a new leader to the right would look best given the curve of the nebari. Any counterpoints?

And good idea with dremeling out the cut. If I go that way,, I'd best go in loaded with a fresh charge, as it might take a while.

Anyone have any ideas of how it would fare if the entire stump, cut line and all, were submerged in... say early August for a few weeks?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Its hard to tell from pics but looks like you have a few options for the front of the tree.
I think orange would be a good choice.

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
I'll have a look when I go, possibly tomorrow, and see if the orange cut line will put it entirely underwater or not. If it will, I'll go purple and let it run for the rest of the season, and maybe cut it back further at collection.

I chose that front because, while its not readily visible in the photos due to being 2 dimensional, the other side is devoid of surface nebari, and is actually a bit undercut,, which eliminates a good percentage of possible fronts. The large nebari in the front I chose gives the tree a good apparent taper, and some visual interest. The other front option looks a bit phallic, as seen in the 5th photo, which won't do. :rolleyes: there may be other possible fronts, but until I get it on a turntable, well-lit on a black background, I wouldn't be able to see it.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@Matt B i know you are eager and stoked about such an awesome find, but trust me you'll be better off just waiting until next spring to do anything at all with.

Here is my Bald Cypress earlier this year

20200310_185544.jpg

Like I said before I'm not in any rush to get the tree into a pot or anything (pots are expensive!) LOL so I actually chopped it lower than what some people here recommend. I'd much rather the dramatic taper over a quick tree in a pot. So here it is after I chopped it and repotted it. This was back on March 15th

20200315_170657.jpg

I was advised to not be so quick go choose a leader because chopping it would induce an explosion and that's exactly what happened. Here it is on May 16th

20200516_201010.jpg

And I just ran out and snapped this pic just for you. Here it is today.

20200614_201053.jpg

It'll just grow wild the next couple of years, the plan for next spring is to eliminate any whorls or problem areas forming which may cause a bulge. Like this section where multiple shoots have emerged

20200614_201101.jpg

Of course ultimately this is your journey and you gotta do what satisfies you. But if it was me..... I'd wait. That way you don't even have to worry about it being fully submerged

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Has anyone determined if that now that the tree is chopped how it will fair under water for a few months?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Has anyone determined if that now that the tree is chopped how it will fair under water for a few months?
I haven't.... but.... just to add another possibility..... when I initially got my Bald Cypress it was summertime, and I bare rooted and repot it. Of course I did NOT do much root work, but if you're feeling brave @Matt B you may consider digging it up now

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It'll just grow wild the next couple of years
Hey Jonathan… not being argumentative but I am curious as to why you wouldn’t want to start developing taper at least by next season. I can understand letting it grow wild for a little while once you’ve picked a leader… But delaying the inevitable seems like you’ll miss out on a few seasons.

The tree below was started and chopped last year... this year I’ve made the second chop and picked a second leader to develop.
8FBA8CB3-7749-4417-ABCE-188EFD7B62E3.jpeg

This tree was chopped this year and leader is as big as a thumb in 3 months.
34405230-1E3D-4BB3-A9A5-85745086F1CC.jpeg

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Jonathan… not being argumentative but I am curious as to why you wouldn’t want to start developing taper at least by next season. I can understand letting it grow wild for a little while once you’ve picked a leader… But delaying the inevitable seems like you’ll miss out on a few seasons.

The tree below was started and chopped last year... this year I’ve made the second chop and picked a second leader to develop.
View attachment 309241

This tree was chopped this year and leader is as big as a thumb in 3 months.
View attachment 309242

Hey this is a discussion and you asked a question. No need to preface it. I wouldn't think you're being argumentative, and I hope you don't think i am.

I may thin it out a bit this year during the summer solstice and prepare for a new leader next spring.

One not so main thing is placement. I'm not experienced enoug to predict where new shoots will emerge from, and I don't want to just "settle" on a shoot. Once I evaluate the tree later this year I may have the perfect choice for my view as the front.

The main thing is vigor and health. I know that the BC are gangbusters and can take a ton of abuse but like I said when I initially got the tree all I did was bare root out of the clay it was in and into my own grow mix, not to be confused with a bonsai soil lol

This year was my first time really pruning the roots, and I gave it hell. I should've done more but I cut off a bunch of roots. The main thing is I want it to be healthy and vigorous above anything else.

Now my turn for questions. Why did you tape the base?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey this is a discussion and you asked a question. No need to preface it. I wouldn't think you're being argumentative, and I hope you don't think i am.
No not at all! But in light of the recent drama unfolding in the NutHouse just wanted to preface the post. :)

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
No not at all! But in light of the recent drama unfolding in the NutHouse just wanted to preface the post. :)
I don't follow what you're talking about, I assume the looting post or what not...

I'm a human. Everyone else I interact with are humans as well, far as I know lol i don't take it personally, nor do I hold grudges against people for their opinions, or life experiences that form those opinions. I learned a long time ago no matter what you say you can't change someone's opinion.

Some people may take offense to advice and criticism, but thats not me. This is the internet and I'm here to learn and expand my views within this hobby. For example after seeing you get a thumb thick leader in 3 months I'm definitely considering selecting a leader sooner instead of later.

Sooooo, whats with the tape on the base???

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score

Wait, are you talking about what is unfolding here:

Top Bottom