Bald Cypress overwintering issue

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi folks -

I've got a flock of bald cypress seedlings getting ready for their first winter here in Virginia. It's occasionally getting cold here (low 20s F last night), so I thought it would be good to set them against my house and mulched with pine straw up to their first branches. They're getting some water every 2-3 days.

Most of the BC look good, in various stages of leaf color change, but I was surprised to see my largest one is looking rough with leaves dried up and white powder (mildew?) going up its trunk.

Any thoughts on the likely cause and best solution? Was it too soon to winterize? Should I go ahead and defoliate it and / or spray with copper fungicide or neem oil? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20211120_111606.jpg
    20211120_111606.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211120_111615.jpg
    20211120_111615.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 40

Bonsai Turtle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hope you sorted it out already, but it looks dry to me. Are you sure it is getting the same amount of water as the others? Could it be receiving more sun than the others so it dries up quicker? Maybe a clothes dryer vent is blowing hot air onto it?

bendem

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hope you sorted it out already, but it looks dry to me. Are you sure it is getting the same amount of water as the others? Could it be receiving more sun than the others so it dries up quicker? Maybe a clothes dryer vent is blowing hot air onto it?
Thanks for your message. Yep, probably too dry. I have a lot of seedlings nestled together under mulch. I try to give them the same amount of water but this one might've needed more, especially since it's larger than most of the others.

Top Bottom