"Bald Cypress Primer" Ryan Neil's video at BonsaiMirai.com has me ripping my hair out

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill, [ @BillsBayou ]

all of our Hackberrys are from the backyard in Lafayette.

Now how do you make Gumbo?
Ingredients?
Curious to what my brother-in-law's maid [ Indian from India, born in Trinidad ']
was taught, since it is cooked twice or so a month, but we use Moruga Scorpion pepper.
Good Day
Anthony

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bill, [ @BillsBayou ]

all of our Hackberrys are from the backyard in Lafayette.
YES! THIS!

I started learning bonsai in the early 90s. I was caught up with species envy. "Oh why oh why can't I have delicate maples and yellow pines and ..." blah blah blah, bitch and moan. Bald cypress was not featured in most all books, much less a flat-top!

I'm glad you have an appreciation for local trees. More of us need to walk out our door and ask "hmmm? Can I make THAT a bonsai?"
Now how do you make Gumbo?
Ingredients?
"It's all about layering the flavors." - My mother.

My parents moved us to California when I was 18 and I moved back when I was 20. I had to wait 30 years to realize that the next time Mom and Dad visit, I need to wrangle her into teaching me her recipe. So I bought all the ingredients she needed and set up the camcorder.

Coming soon, to a YouTube channel near you: "Gumbo: The Movie"

My mother is drinking wine the whole time and singing the wrong lyrics to "American Pie". The gumbo was great.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Re bald cypress knees, there is anecdotal evidence that formation of knees is at least partially genetic. The population of native bald cypress found in the rivers of the Texas Hill Country have been isolated from the population in the SE US for a long time. Hill Country trees rarely form knees. This is true even when you collect their seeds and grow them outside their natural range. In north central Texas where I live, bald cypress are not native but are a common landscape tree. Most of the landscape trees are of SE US provenance, and they will develop knees especially if planted in areas of poor drainage. Hill Country trees do not develop knees, even when planted in the same conditions as the SE trees with knees.

All of this comes from what I have observed, and from others much more experienced with native Texas plants than I am. But I don't think it has ever been tested in well-controlled conditions. My own SE bald cypress bonsai did begin to develop knees while I was growing it with the root mass submerged in a garden pond.

BTW, thanks to Bill for your posts and videos. My bald cypress forest is in for major changes because of what I have learned from you.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Re bald cypress knees, there is anecdotal evidence that formation of knees is at least partially genetic. The population of native bald cypress found in the rivers of the Texas Hill Country have been isolated from the population in the SE US for a long time. Hill Country trees rarely form knees. This is true even when you collect their seeds and grow them outside their natural range. In north central Texas where I live, bald cypress are not native but are a common landscape tree. Most of the landscape trees are of SE US provenance, and they will develop knees especially if planted in areas of poor drainage. Hill Country trees do not develop knees, even when planted in the same conditions as the SE trees with knees.

All of this comes from what I have observed, and from others much more experienced with native Texas plants than I am. But I don't think it has ever been tested in well-controlled conditions. My own SE bald cypress bonsai did begin to develop knees while I was growing it with the root mass submerged in a garden pond.

BTW, thanks to Bill for your posts and videos. My bald cypress forest is in for major changes because of what I have learned from you.
Thank you for the genetic information. I believe I've come across something like that before but have forgotten it.

Hmmmm... I still have trees from a purchase I made from the state. I assume they are knee-generating trees but cannot know for certain. My experiment will include some of the purchased trees, plus some trees I've harvested from an area loaded up with knees. I'll be sure to record which is which.

I love extra data. Fattens up the columns of the report. ;)

Oh, and keep that forest well watered. I had a sprinkler failure during a vacation and lost about half of the trees. Only one tree on the right side survived, but he has a fat root going to the left side, crossing the "bayou". So, he's cheating death. This is all going to make for a sad video. Everyone needs to own up to their failures. I think I may have enough replacement trees to pull off a rebuild.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bird's of a feather, @BillsBayou - interest in tree physiology.

Bald cypress isn't one of my favorite species, but this one by Vaughn Banting, at the Pacific Bonsai Museum is one of may favorite trees.

e2e9179eb6047e9f9c1f4602a3a51da2.jpg

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bird's of a feather, @BillsBayou - interest in tree physiology.

Bald cypress isn't one of my favorite species, but this one by Vaughn Banting, at the Pacific Bonsai Museum is one of may favorite trees.

Thank you for this. It means a great deal.

Here's Vaughn "Meeting the shippers so that the tree can be crated and sent to the Pacific Rim Collection":
Flat-top-going-to-Pacific-R.jpg

And an image Vaughn had "On permenant exhibit at Weyerhaeuser's Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection":
Pacific-Rim-Collection-my-f.jpg
It's nice to have an update.

It looks like the caretaker of the tree is giving it a more rounded look. Vaughn had originally designed it with a slight rounding, not so full as it became:
pacific-rim-cypress.jpg

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are bald cypress a pine ,a juniper or an "elongating" tree?
Something else?

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are bald cypress a pine ,a juniper or an "elongating" tree?
Something else?
A conifer. It is a member of the "Cupressaceae" family.

Wikipedia:
Cupressaceae is a conifer family, the cypress family, with worldwide distribution. The family includes 27–30 genera (17 monotypic), which include the junipers and redwoods, with about 130–140 species in total.

It's called "bald" because it is a deciduous conifer.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A conifer. It is a member of the "Cupressaceae" family.

Wikipedia:
Cupressaceae is a conifer family, the cypress family, with worldwide distribution. The family includes 27–30 genera (17 monotypic), which include the junipers and redwoods, with about 130–140 species in total.

It's called "bald" because it is a deciduous conifer.
I was wondering what Ryan Neil classified them as.
I know they're conifers but does he?

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This thread needs a.... WHO DAT!?
WHO DAT!

SAINTS, BABY! ALL THE WAY!

We can NOT let Minnesota have the first at-home Superbowl. The Saints will beat the Vikings this weekend in Minnesota and the Falcons will beat the much depleted Eagles. Then next weekend it is BACK TO THE DOME! Where we'll beat the Falcons for the second time this season (we beat the Panthers THREE TIMES this season). Then we're SUPERBOWL BOUND!!! Back to Minnesota where we'll be welcomed like pariahs for just having defeated their home team! HAHAHAHAHA!

blah blah blah, Drew Brees loves bald cypress bonsai, blah blah blah (keeping it on-topic with unfounded rumors)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should have stressed that I respect Ryan. I've met him a few times. He's very easy going and good to talk to. I'm learning constantly when I watch his videos and live feeds. The Tier 3 membership is certainly worth the cost.

Here in the South, we're constantly amused by people coming here and just not getting us. We have our own culture. We live in a different environment. The more localized you get, the worse it gets. New Orleanians aren't really "Southerners". We're a Creole city. We're Cajuns. We're Swampers.

When we watch a national TV show try to recreate what they found in New Orleans, it's a cross between laughter and pity. For example: Disney put out a video on how to make New Orleans gumbo. I don't know what shit it was they were stirring in the end, but it wasn't gumbo. Quinoa instead of RICE? Idiots.

When I see someone from the Pacific Northwest, who is 1700 miles from the nearest bald cypress, giving out information on bald cypress, I just knew it was going to be an entertaining video. I wasn't disappointed.
View attachment 173832

The more generalized information about styling the tree is certainly on point. I have a problem when it comes to the science. I'm not a scientist, but I do try to read up on the science of bald cypress as much as I can and see how it all fits with the trees that surround our cities. There are very good photographs of wonderful bald cypress in books and on the Internet. I get to look at the ugly ones that do not get photographed. The ancient survivors of everything Mother Nature can throw at them in the South. It's nice to look at a well-defined flat-top, but it's better when you can compare it to a poorly defined one. It gives us the chance to spot the flaws, to break down flat tops into just what it is we appreciate.

Ryan mentions four people who were instrumental in developing the flat top style: Vaughn Banting, Dave Degroot, Guy Guidry, and Gary Marchal. They were all in the Greater New Orleans Bonsai Society. I've been to three of their homes. Gary took me on my first swamp dig and I still have the tree I dug. Vaughn sat me down in his home office and explained the physiology that creates the flat top. Guy's nursery was a fantastic resource for inspiration and knowledge. And it's Vaughn's fault that when Dave is giving a demonstration, that he looks at me to make sure I'm not about to snap a pencil while he bends a branch. That's my pedigree. The education I received from these four and many others in the club has shaped my appreciation and obsession of bald cypress. These men, and women as well, have helped me develop an eye for bald cypress bonsai. Vaughn and Gary have passed and were a great loss. Dave no longer lives in New Orleans, but I'll see him next week, so that's going to be great. And Guy had to sell off his nursery during a bitter divorce. But we still have great minds shaping bonsai in New Orleans and across the Gulf South.
I talked with Gary online more than a few times about BC bonsai. I fell in love with BC bonsai back in the 90's when I saw Guy Guidry's and Vaugh Banting's trees at the national arboretum. I have relatives all along the Gulf Coast in Texas and La. Used to visit my grandmother in SE Texas on the La. border for summers. when I was a kid. BC were thick in that area and still are. I saw the BC bonsai and thought "YOU CAN MAKE BONSAI FROM THAT?" I was off to the races after that.

Sad that he and Vaughn Banting have gone. A great loss for bonsai and native trees in particular.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I talked with Gary online more than a few times about BC bonsai. I fell in love with BC bonsai back in the 90's when I saw Guy Guidry's and Vaugh Banting's trees at the national arboretum. I have relatives all along the Gulf Coast in Texas and La. Used to visit my grandmother in SE Texas on the La. border for summers. when I was a kid. BC were thick in that area and still are. I saw the BC bonsai and thought "YOU CAN MAKE BONSAI FROM THAT?" I was off to the races after that.

Sad that he and Vaughn Banting have gone. A great loss for bonsai and native trees in particular.
First bald cypress bonsai I saw was an unknown artist on a local news show in the early 90s. I hadn't yet gotten into bonsai. I couldn't wrap my mind around the description of the tree as having been more than 40 feet tall when they started.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
WHO DAT!

SAINTS, BABY! ALL THE WAY!

We can NOT let Minnesota have the first at-home Superbowl. The Saints will beat the Vikings this weekend in Minnesota and the Falcons will beat the much depleted Eagles. Then next weekend it is BACK TO THE DOME! Where we'll beat the Falcons for the second time this season (we beat the Panthers THREE TIMES this season). Then we're SUPERBOWL BOUND!!! Back to Minnesota where we'll be welcomed like pariahs for just having defeated their home team! HAHAHAHAHA!

blah blah blah, Drew Brees loves bald cypress bonsai, blah blah blah (keeping it on-topic with unfounded rumors)
See you in Foxboro, MA....err um I mean Minnesota! You get what I'm sayin'...:D

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I saw the bald cypresses along the Guadalupe River in Texas hill country, north of San Antonio. It was immediately obvious that they grew differently than Taxodium distichum. I assumed they were
is that possible? Guadalupe does flow to the Rio Grande, and the former range of Taxodium mucronatum did include the Rio Grande valley. I don't know, I'm not saying they were mucronatum, but the Texas hill country cypress did not look like a bald cypress. Nor did it grow like one. Could it be a hybrid between the two species? Just speculating, I don't know the answer.

I did visit, by canoe, one of the oldest bald cypresses growing in the state of Illinois. Yep, extreme southern Illinois does have a bald cypress swamp on the Lower Cache River. The big tree is 23 feet across at the waterline, and estimated to be 1300 years old. Not a flat top at all, more a repeatedly broken top

Note - winter is the best time to visit the cypress swamps - no mosquitoes and the cotton mouths are hibernating. I hate cotton mouths, most aggressive poisonous snake I have ever met, and big too. Bald Cypress are native to the southern half of Illinois, but the Cache River is the northern most fully developed Bald Cypress-Water Tupelo swamp, and a few cypress domes. Further north it tends to be scattered pockets with just handfuls of trees , without a fully developed swamp ecosystem, nor any cypress domes.

cypress1300yr-old-4.jpg

below is this same tree from a distance. NOt very tall, but repeatedly broken.

Bald Cypresses make up most of the trees in the far background.

cypress1300yr-old-2.jpg

cypress850yr-old.jpg

random tree

DSCN1751.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom