Bald Cypress Question(s)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First and foremost I have had a lot of BC growing just fine for years at the other place and here. We had problems with the land drainage at this place and lost all, not just BC due to a bacterial problem in Spring 2015.
This season we are past reclaiming the land and have corrected the problems and all plants are growing normally.

My question is about one BC that I chopped from 3 foot to 1 foot early this Spring;
What season is proper to either trunk split and wedge open a trunk and/or cut into and gouge completely through the trunk from near ground level to near the top?

Sounds extreme but I would like to grow it like that and not wait a few more seasons for a variety of reasons :rolleyes:

Any and all answers appreciated as well as input from @sawgrass and @johng :oops:

Thanks in advance!

Grimmy

johng

Omono
Reaction score
With extreme work like what you describe, I would want to do it while the tree is actively growing!! Perhaps May or after in your climate??

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Spring or summer, when the tree is actively growing.

With extreme work like what you describe, I would want to do it while the tree is actively growing!! Perhaps May or after in your climate??

Thank you both. I am planning a forest in two years and want to develop a couple of short stout torn up looking for added interest.

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I second what John G said, I'd wait until middle of June, like Vance does for mugo. Key is you want active growth, and June would be late enough that energy reseves may have been at least partially rebuilt after the drain that the first flush of leaves costs.

Top Bottom