bald cypress questions.

jesseb88

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting a yamadori bald cypress it will be shipped to me from Louisiana. It will be trunk chopped and roots will be just how it was dug up. I know bald cypress are very hardy but this has to be stressful on the tree so what should I do to ensure it has the best chance of living.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bald Cypress are almost like a weed, tough to kill. I would get in a good medium and keep it wet and shaded for about 3 weeks to give it a chance to relax. You should start seeing some buds in about a month and then its time to fertilize and watch it literally grow each day, they grow like a weed too. They like to be wet, it would not hurt to use some sphagnum moss in your mix to hold water and develop a root system.

ed

jesseb88

Seedling
Reaction score
So I shouldn't be to worried about having it shipped. That was my main concern it being to stressed that it gets dug up and shipped for a couple days and then dies.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The shipping should not provide any stress to the tree when it's dormant.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
You probably don't need to worry but...IF the tree is being collected from the wild, the roots, or what is left of them, should be packed in wet moss and sealed in plastic for shipping ...you do not want freshly collected roots to dry out...(I am sure if you are buying from a reputable seller this will be done) I personally would want it to be shipped asap after collecting. I would also not dilly-dally about getting potted up and secure in the pot...no wiggles as soon as you receive it.

One the other hand, if it coming from a growing bed or nursery situation it should be just fine!

I hope since you're carrying the risk of a newly collected tree that it saved you a bunch of money! If not, I might reconsider and look for something more established.

Keep it wet and good luck,
John

jesseb88

Seedling
Reaction score
It's going to be freshly collected from the wild and the guy is pretty reputable. $100 for a nice tapered bald cypress with a big base.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's going to be freshly collected from the wild and the guy is pretty reputable. $100 for a nice tapered bald cypress with a big base.

The tree should be fine a long as it is dormant. Keep wet

jesseb88

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's the bald cypress I'm getting.

Attachments

• received_m_mid_1393027984532_2116a72c26339e7a31_0.jpeg
    received_m_mid_1393027984532_2116a72c26339e7a31_0.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 88

jesseb88

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah it was $100 I've seen way smaller bald cypress trees from a nursery that cost more than that. The gut I got it from pretty much goes out and finds whatever the people want.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah it was $100 I've seen way smaller bald cypress trees from a nursery that cost more than that. The gut I got it from pretty much goes out and finds whatever the people want.

You need to share your "guy"! ;)

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Cypress. Are you willing to share the suppliers name in a PM to me?

Terry

jesseb88

Seedling
Reaction score
On Facebook thers a group search for bonsai classifieds. There's another group by the same guy called bonsai talk. The classified group has weekly auctions but the guy that runs both groups is mark Goodman that's who Im getting my tree from.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the seller guaranteeing the tree will survive? Since it's being dug and shipped without first being stabilized, are you on the hook if it dies? Just asking.

Zach

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice BC....With the cost of gas and atleast a day I might be better off getting intouch with this guy instead of trying to collect some on my own.....? I haven't even found a place yet.

Brian

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it dies your should find out how as these trees in my belief can't be killed. They are weeds. I had one which I have since sold that I cut in half almost to the base in August and it laughed at me and put out new foliage. I would not worry. Your problem will be deciding what new growth you want to keep as it will come out everywhere. They back bud all over the place.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
It's probably not cheap to ship a tree that size especially when you consider packing materials and the time needed to pack and ship it. Also considering the time it took to drive out there, pick the tree, cut and dig it, and clean up the cuts on the roots, I think you're getting a great deal. I hope it thrives for you.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
If it dies your should find out how as these trees in my belief can't be killed. They are weeds..

Don't kid yourself! Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you have much experience collecting. They can and do die...I have lost plenty over the years. The transition from wild to container grown is not always successful.

John

Top Bottom