Bald Cypress Repot and Trim

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A Fall update, wait a minute, did I say Fall? Fall did not show up, so Summer is covering for him, it was in the upper 90's today with 100000000% humidity. Any how, a great growing season for this one. I kept it submerged all summer, bald cypress really like this and will respond with copious amounts of growth and close wounds quickly, give it a whirl if you are still on the sidelines.

The new leader grew to 7 feet and almost as big as my thumb at the base:

View attachment 163643

It also completely closed the wound where I had chopped it:

View attachment 163644

And is about half way on the larger "necked-up" wound:

View attachment 163645

The top leader grew so much that I was scared that it would get too thick, so I chopped it again. I know that it is early or late to do this, but I have done this before and in my climate, it will be OK.

View attachment 163646

View attachment 163647

I sealed the would with paste and putty (no picture). Well this should wrap this one up for the rest of the year. It is really starting to take the shape that I have envisioned for it. Still haven't decided what to do with the jin yet, maybe next year.

if you get bud lower, closer to the other chop, chop it back to that. Better taper and greater overall image.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Did a little work on this one the other day...

It came out really well this spring

DSC08737-1.jpg

Plenty of choices for a new leader

DSC08738-1.jpg

I think I am gonna use this one

DSC08741-1.jpg

Nice smooth cut

DSC08743-1.jpg

Sealed it off

DSC08744-1.jpg

Applied a little wire to give some direction

DSC08751-1.jpg

DSC08752-1.jpg

Ready for the season

DSC08746-1.jpg

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Off topic but what do you do to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in the standing water?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Off topic but what do you do to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in the standing water?

I force the water out of the pan every 2 - 3days with the hose, takes a few seconds and not really certain I need to.

Grimmy

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Update:

More explosive growth, I will wire it in the coming weeks and thin it out some.

View attachment 192725

View attachment 192726

View attachment 192727

Hi @Mellow Mullet,
I have a question about the chop and proportions. My tree has grown straight up to 7 feet and I am wanting to chop to create a realistic tree, as I have read these BC’s need to be a big bonsai (3 foot etc). Does this mean my first chop is around 12-15 inches??
Thank you for your thread as very motivating,
Charles

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks for the compliments!

I sometimes don't follow the "rules", so I may be the wrong one to ask, but yes, that sounds about right. You will probably be doing 3 or 4 chops before you are done, each one 1/2 to 2/3 the length of the previous one. So if you start with 15" you should end up around 3-ish feet when done. Post some pictures! I love seeing what others are doing.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Did a little work on this one the other day...

It came out really well this spring
Plenty of choices for a new leader
I think I am gonna use this one
Nice smooth cut
Sealed it off
Applied a little wire to give some direction

Thanks a ton for posting that, you are awesome at BC's man!!! Am re-visiting your site right now, makes me realize just how great this species is :D Can't wait til this winter so I can collect a decent amount, I only learned the species this year (early Jan '18!) and only collected 2 that survived :/ (well, 3, technically, there's a straggler that just won't die but it's 6mo old and has (2), ~4" shoots from the buttressing, nothing else, shoots appeared at ~3mo after collection and just stopped growing at that length! So weird...)

[may as well ask- do you happen to have any tips/tricks for dealing w/ BC's tendency to form realllly tall, raised-edge "craters" around wounds? All the spots that I'd removed branches from, with knob-cutters, look more like they want to form a volcano than a prairie! Have begun 'testing' an idea to speed-up/force smoother roll-overs: knicking the inside-rim of the 'crater' to wound/expose the inner-most edge of the rim, both removing some of the height of the crater as well as forcing it to callous again- am half-expecting this to back-fire and just cause a bigger cratering so I only tried it on one wound, was lucky enough to have 2 similarly-sized wounds beside each other so I could compare over time :) ]

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks a ton for posting that, you are awesome at BC's man!!! Am re-visiting your site right now, makes me realize just how great this species is :D Can't wait til this winter so I can collect a decent amount, I only learned the species this year (early Jan '18!) and only collected 2 that survived :/ (well, 3, technically, there's a straggler that just won't die but it's 6mo old and has (2), ~4" shoots from the buttressing, nothing else, shoots appeared at ~3mo after collection and just stopped growing at that length! So weird...)

[may as well ask- do you happen to have any tips/tricks for dealing w/ BC's tendency to form realllly tall, raised-edge "craters" around wounds? All the spots that I'd removed branches from, with knob-cutters, look more like they want to form a volcano than a prairie! Have begun 'testing' an idea to speed-up/force smoother roll-overs: knicking the inside-rim of the 'crater' to wound/expose the inner-most edge of the rim, both removing some of the height of the crater as well as forcing it to callous again- am half-expecting this to back-fire and just cause a bigger cratering so I only tried it on one wound, was lucky enough to have 2 similarly-sized wounds beside each other so I could compare over time :) ]

The large roll of callous is just the nature of the beast. I use concave cutters and go in pretty deep and make sure that the edges of the depression are smooth. Once they completely heal, it isn't too bad and when the trunk grows it kinda evens out. As far as trunk chops go, the large callous is what helps to blend the transitions. Just make sure that the wound is clean and smooth. Some say to make a 45 degree slant, but I find a little steeper to work better.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Tadpoles here in my tub, its the circle of life. :)

That must be some mean tadpoles! With teeth! I use a product called mosquito bits, it works well. I used to put a couple of drops of malathion in them, but found that birds like to drink out of the tubs, so I quit. The mosquito bits do not harm animals. There are so many mosquitoes here in the Heart of Dixie, the amount that I produce is inconsequential.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
That must be some mean tadpoles! With teeth! I use a product called mosquito bits, it works well. I used to put a couple of drops of malathion in them, but found that birds like to drink out of the tubs, so I quit. The mosquito bits do not harm animals. There are so many mosquitoes here in the Heart of Dixie, the amount that I produce is inconsequential.
As soon as the rains start the frogs start laying eggs and they hatch out, eat the mosquito larva and then turtles hatch out and feed on the tadpole masses. If my turtles lay eggs, then I have a ready food source for them. :)

Top Bottom