Hello,Will baldcypress respond negatively towards a repoting after the buds have opened and growth has started. My cypress is in a pot i feel is too deep, and the soil is getting very compact and dosnt drain to well. Any suggestions on if i should repot or wait till next year?
Thank you for the advice. I will probably wait till next year.Hello,
I have never repotted one that far along. I would wait until next spring, others might tell you different, but I always repot mine right before the bud break, just as they start to swell.
You could always loosen up the soil in the pot by shoving a chopstick or piece of metal rod (I have a piece of 1/4 inch stainless steel rod that I use) into the soil as far as you can go and then "wiggle" it in a circular motion, creating a nickel to quarter size hole. Fill that hole with new soil. Do this all in a half a dozen or so places around the root ball and it will help with the drainage. I have used this technique many times to make it to the next repotting season.
You could just throw the whole thing into tub of water for the summer and not worry about it. BC love to have their roots submerged and it will help to bulk the trunk up. I submerge all of mine from about Feb/March through October/November.
Me too, that is what I meant by "just as they start to swell", I like to get them before they swell too much as they are so delicate and I end up knocking too many off. The question in post #82 was "Will baldcypress respond negatively towards a repoting after the buds have opened and growth has started"? Can't really recommend that, it might can be done by someone with a lot of experience if it was an emergency situation, but I think it is best just to wait.I repot when the buds are forming on the tree. I've never heard to do it when dormant.
My BC overgrown as well. I was thinking about letting the foliage die off in winter and then making some branch choices. Is this a good strategy?Normally, I will trim a tree before I apply wire, but on this particular BC, it is so overgrown that it is hard to tell what needs to go and what should stay.
It is, I am doing that with my clump and another that I have as I am lacking the time to do each of them. You could trim it now and get another flush so you will have more to choose from but waiting won't hurt either.My BC overgrown as well. I was thinking about letting the foliage die off in winter and then making some branch choices. Is this a good strategy?
I am gonna take a closer look at it this winter. Thanks!Awesome work John!
Making me want to get go work on my new BC....maybe I will today.
I love what you have done with it.....but I have to side with @rockm in reference to the dead trunk / jin....way too long.
I have mixed feelings about long kind in general, but this one is distracting for me.
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|Another Bald Cypress Repot||Other Deciduous||10|
|Bald Cypress...Sept. too late to repot?||General Discussion||2|
|J||Air layering grafted cascade falls bald cypress above previous graft to a bald (I think) cypress||Grafting, layering & propagating||2|
|J||Bald Cypress Yamadori||Wanted to buy||7|
|T||Calling bald cypress experts||New to Bonsai||9|